Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to determine if the LVDS cable is bad or the display.

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 DG The screen goes white with a center greyish bar in the center then turns to Magenta with a white vertical bar. If on battery and using a second monitor that monitor is perfect so that rules out the graphic chip. If I close the lid on battery mode the secondary monitor loses it signal which is normal. If I open the lid its white with the grayish vertical bar then later to Magenta. I did run Tech Tools and all systems and sensors passed. I also ran AHT and it gave a ADP000 passed. Has any one run in to this? I already have a cable coming and I will update. IfI boot straight no secondary screen the white screen will somewhat dim in the boot process (low Rez) then brighten to high Rez at the end so it would seem it functions correctly albeit for the screen.

Lou Cioccio

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 9:02 PM

Unless you have a non-Retina Mid-2012 model, then I don't know how you are going to replace the LVDS Cable without destroying the LCD Panel. The Display Assemblies on the Retina models are so thin that it is extremely difficult to remove the glass without breaking the glass, the LCD, or the cables. Even if you can remove the glass the LCD Panel is so thin and delicate that you will very likely damage it as you handle it.

I've done this repair on the non-Retina models and it was tricky enough to do without breaking the glass. We actually created a special tool to help remove the glass which minimized cracking the glass, but even then the glass would still sometimes break.

There is no way to be certain if the cable or the LCD is at fault without replacing one of the components.

If it is a Retina model, then replacing the whole Display Assembly is the best option. Just make sure to get a Display Assembly which is known to be compatible with your exact model laptop.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 9:02 PM in response to Louis Cioccio2

Unless you have a non-Retina Mid-2012 model, then I don't know how you are going to replace the LVDS Cable without destroying the LCD Panel. The Display Assemblies on the Retina models are so thin that it is extremely difficult to remove the glass without breaking the glass, the LCD, or the cables. Even if you can remove the glass the LCD Panel is so thin and delicate that you will very likely damage it as you handle it.

I've done this repair on the non-Retina models and it was tricky enough to do without breaking the glass. We actually created a special tool to help remove the glass which minimized cracking the glass, but even then the glass would still sometimes break.

There is no way to be certain if the cable or the LCD is at fault without replacing one of the components.

If it is a Retina model, then replacing the whole Display Assembly is the best option. Just make sure to get a Display Assembly which is known to be compatible with your exact model laptop.

How to determine if the LVDS cable is bad or the display.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.