Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t delete apps on watch

Tried everything and can’t delete apps

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 8:45 AM

Ok, I found my solution and it was very obscure...

1. click screen time.
  2. content and privacy settings
  3. iTunes and App Store purchases
  4. deleting apps set to allow.

after doing this I could delete on my watch or on my iPhone watch app!

61 replies

Feb 27, 2021 1:21 PM in response to Bcucchiara

I have Apple Watch 3, tried all the stuff here with no luck. Changed my apps from list to grid view in the Watch app on my phone. Then on my watch I pressed and held until apps jiggled. I could only see an X next to a few apps, all of which I deleted. Couldn’t delete any others. I assume the ones that don’t have an X are built it. Still happy I finally saw the elusive X but I could only see it in in grid view.

Apr 1, 2021 12:54 PM in response to KatPey

Quick update: Re-pairing my Series 3 Apple Watch on 3/10 allowed me to delete some apps and let me

download and update to current watchOS. More recently, I was able to update again to watchOS 7.3.3 without re-pairing again. YAY! Currently my watch has 2.1 GB available from 4.1GB capacity; as long as the next update isn't larger than 2.1 GB I figure I'm good. If it's large than 2.1GB, guessing I'll have to go the re-pair route again. Hopefully re-pairing works for your watch too. Good luck!

Dec 6, 2020 9:49 AM in response to Bcucchiara

Launch the iOS Watch app on your iPhone.

Tap My Watch in the bottom-left corner of the screen.

Scroll down to the "Installed on Apple Watch" list and tap the app that you want to uninstall.

Toggle the switch next to Show App on Apple Watch to the grey OFF position.

How to Delete Apple Watch Apps From Your Watch.

Press the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch to bring up the App View.

If you're using List View, swipe left across the app you want to remove, then tap the red trash button. If you're using Grid View, tap and hold to activate jiggle mode, then tap the X in the top-left corner of the app you want to remove.

Tap Delete App to confirm.

Mar 10, 2021 6:59 AM in response to daf0555

I have a Series 3 Apple Watch, and the first few months after I purchased it I was able to delete when App View was in grid because the X would be available to tap.

I’ve tried everything here, but unfortunately I still can’t delete apps. I completed the screen time steps, switched to grid view, got the jiggling icons, but still no Xs to allow me to delete any apps. Even tried rebooting on top of that, still no Xs available on grid view.

Sadly, I haven’t been able to update watch for over three months due to not being able to delete apps to make room for update/s. Watch capacity is 4.2 GB but currently only 2.0 GB available, but it needs at least 2.7 to be to be able to update.

I don’t want to buy a new Apple watch because I haven’t even had this 7 months! If I can’t update regularly I feel it’s going to cause more problems. I’m already noticing lack of responsiveness when it comes to rebooting it. Very disappointing.

Mar 10, 2021 8:07 PM in response to Valeriesmith76

Thanks, Valerie and everyone! I’ve unpaired my Apple Watch and am in the midst of pairing again, which apparently takes a while since this time (unlike initial pairing) it’s getting back up from iCloud.

Hopefully this will allow me to eventually delete some apps and do the latest update/s.

I do want to take the time to say I’m very appreciative of these discussions and everyone’s contributions. I’ve certainly read more than a few replies on various topics, and each time I’ve been pleasantly surprised by finding the solutions without having to do any additional work. This is my first time actually replying (I guess I hit my breaking point, ha ha). :)

I’ll post again if needed, although at this point keep in mind no news is good news.

Apr 27, 2021 6:37 PM in response to MommaK18

I tried this and deleted apps on my watch, but that didn’t give me adequate space, and it seemed the only way I could update the watch software was to unpair my watch and re-pair it with my iPhone. After 12 hours trying to update them watch, I took it off its charger and the watch screen said to complete the installation using the watch app on my phone. I tried that. My phone now does not recognize my watch, and my watch has turned off and seems to have died.

Jun 21, 2021 4:55 PM in response to mjwhearts722

I also have an Apple Series 3 watch and previously posted what I had to about my In ability to delete apps and install update/s.The only thing that’s worked for me: unpaired my watch, re-paired my watch and then had the capability to delete most of the apps/free up room on watch.

Once this process was complete I was able to install an update. Sadly, I’ve had to do this each time there’s an update. It’s not ideal but it works.

Can’t delete apps on watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.