Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage File Size Limit (Blurry Videos)

I’ve sent and received many HD videos through iMessage (iPhone to iPhone) over the last 5 years and never had an issue until August/September of 2020. Since then, I noticed that some of the videos I sent and received (blue iMessage) have been soo compressed during transmission, that the image becomes very pixelated to the point where faces cannot be made out. The only pattern I noticed with the problematic videos were that they were either longer HD videos (20+ seconds) OR they were 4K videos (15+ seconds). So naturally I assume it’s a file size limit that iMessage has, just like SMS (green texts) and email have their own filie size limits before they have to compress your file to transmit it. I’m okay with that, as long as I know the file size limit so that I can trim my videos accordingly before sending them via iMessage. I simply use a third party app (Investigator) to confirm the file size of my video prior to sending. This is where Apple is dropping the ball. I cannot find any OFFICIAL Apple website providing us that iMessage file size limit. I have spoken to over 7 different Apple Support representatives for hours to include their “Tier 2 technicians” who even escalated the ticket to their engineers, and absolutely no one can provide me with that iMessage file size limit. I am certain that prior to August/September I never had these iMessage only blurry video issues. If Apple lowered their iMessage file size limit they need to be upfront with us. We are paying $1000+ dollars for phones that record in 4K 60+ fps. What is the use of that when the footage is restricted within the phone it was recorded on. Are we to send these 4K videos or long HD videos via AirDrop only? That is ridiculous. I turn to the community for help with this. Lets pressure Apple to give us an official response on their iMessage file size limit. Especially any changes to it in the last couple of years. It wouldn’t be the first time Apple throttle their phone’s performance.

Troubleshooting I’ve Tried:

I confirmed the 3 other iPhone 11 Pro’s settings had “Low Quality Image Mode” and “Low Power Mode” and “Low Data Mode” all turned OFF. 

I also made sure they were all on the most updated iOS of 14.2. 

I made sure all iPhones were on high speed wifi (VZ Fios 1Gbps down/up loads).

I powered cycled each phone.

I Reset All Network Settings (had to enter home and work wifi passwords again)

I even Reset All Settings (the most annoying setting your phone back to your liking as you encountered annoying settings over a week or so)

Temporary but annoying solution:

I use an app developed by Verizon called “Message+”. It actually states that their file size limit is 100MB and so I can send and receive the crystal clear videos as they were shot. If you have Verizon as your provider, stay away from this app. It’s problematic for them, but for AT&T and Tmobile, it works just fine. Videos are received just as if I shot them on my phone as long as they are under 100MB in size. 

iPhone XS Max, 14

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2020 5:39 PM

I have this same issue. Myself and my wife both on iPhone and both on WiFi on same network, low image quality off, low power mode off etc etc. IM NOT TALKING ABOUT MMS OR CELLUAR. I’m saying that WiFi is still compressing videos so they look like ****.

The only way to fix it is for her to send me an iCloud link and I have to download them. Regular messages is useless for video.

The only thing that I can think of that may contribute to my problem is that I’m on an iPhone 6s and she is on a 10.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2020 5:39 PM in response to JM211

I have this same issue. Myself and my wife both on iPhone and both on WiFi on same network, low image quality off, low power mode off etc etc. IM NOT TALKING ABOUT MMS OR CELLUAR. I’m saying that WiFi is still compressing videos so they look like ****.

The only way to fix it is for her to send me an iCloud link and I have to download them. Regular messages is useless for video.

The only thing that I can think of that may contribute to my problem is that I’m on an iPhone 6s and she is on a 10.

iMessage File Size Limit (Blurry Videos)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.