Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Runaway mouse and keys on keyboard

Since upgrading to Big Sur on my 2020 iMac (two weeks old), my bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard both behave erratically. As an example, as I type often the space bar will initiate 15 to 20 blank spaces between text. If I try to use the backspace it too will jump 30 or 40 characters backward deleting more text than pressed keyed. My Mouse also hangs middle screen and will not move for 2 to 3 seconds before catching back to the position it should be.

The only Solution that I have found is to disconnect the bluetooth connection for the keyboard, then re-establish it. That, however, only works for about 20 to 30 minutes when this behavior repeats.

The same is true for the mouse, I have to connect my trackpad to disable the mouse and reconnect to make this go away, only for a short time.

On another note, this new 27" iMac with Big Sur is, imho, slower than my old 27" 2010 iMac with High Sierra 🙁

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 2:29 PM

Try the following as needed:

1 - boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

3 - How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2020 2:29 PM in response to BigBobD

Try the following as needed:

1 - boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

2 - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

3 - How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 6, 2020 3:58 PM in response to BigBobD

BigBobD Said:

"Runaway mouse and keys on keyboard"

-------

What to Consider:

• Syncing These:

Hold down the sync button on your keyboard, and the one on your mouse on your mouse.

• Power:

Also, check the batteries on the devices, and swapped them out for new ones.

• Check Compatibility:

If these are incompatible with your macOS, then the devices, would indeed have the possibility act sporadically. So, get the drivers, and see if that ties it.

• Return these:

Also, return these, or request a swap out, if an option.

Dec 6, 2020 4:29 PM in response to BigBobD

BigBobD Said:

"Runaway mouse and keys on keyboard: connectivity isn't the issue."

-------

Power and Interconnectivity:

Correct - but interconnectivity is an issue. Synchronization is a must. You keep losing connection, or it gets hung. So, you need sufficient power, and correct configuration, in order to keep this connection established.

Runaway mouse and keys on keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.