Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad trouble

Hello. I forgot my restrictions password on my ipad and now i can’t reset it. It was my moms ipad but i’m trying to reset it to put all of my info on it but we can’t remember the restrictions password and we have tried more than 20 times.

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 11:17 AM

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime (a.k.a. restrictions) passcode, one of the two procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13.x or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The most recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

The tags appended to your post suggest that you are in the latter category - requiring full reset with no hope of using an iTunes or iCloud backup to restore data. As such, you should manually offload or externally backup any essential data before proceeding.

I hope this information is helpful to you in successfully resetting your forgotten passcode.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 11:17 AM in response to laisha2205

If you have forgotten the ScreenTime (a.k.a. restrictions) passcode, one of the two procedures outlined within this link should resolve the problem:

If you forgot your Screen Time passcode - Apple Support

If your iPad is capable of supporting iPadOS 13.x or later, you should update to the most current version before attempting to resolve a forgotten ScreenTime passcode. The most recent iPadOS updates have introduced a new mechanism whereby a forgotten ScreenTime passcode can be reset without wiping the iPad.

To reset a forgotten ScreenTime passcode on older versions of iOS/iPadOS, the iPad must be reset “as new”, losing all locally stored data. In this situation, you’ll not be able to restore your data from an iCloud or iTunes backup - as the forgotten passcode is integral to the backup.

The tags appended to your post suggest that you are in the latter category - requiring full reset with no hope of using an iTunes or iCloud backup to restore data. As such, you should manually offload or externally backup any essential data before proceeding.

I hope this information is helpful to you in successfully resetting your forgotten passcode.

ipad trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.