Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to run a Photoshop cs6 with rosetta 2 on a m1 mac ?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 10:56 AM

The Java 6 that CS6 requires and parts of CS6 itself are 32-bit and Catalina/Big Sur require pure 64-bit applications. Its either Adobe subscription-ware that is compatible with Big Sur, or determining if the Apple Silicon native, non-subscription, Affinity Design and Photo can replace your CS6 dependencies.

Rosetta2 still expects a pure 64-bit Intel binary.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 10:56 AM in response to petr61

The Java 6 that CS6 requires and parts of CS6 itself are 32-bit and Catalina/Big Sur require pure 64-bit applications. Its either Adobe subscription-ware that is compatible with Big Sur, or determining if the Apple Silicon native, non-subscription, Affinity Design and Photo can replace your CS6 dependencies.

Rosetta2 still expects a pure 64-bit Intel binary.

Dec 7, 2020 7:52 AM in response to petr61

petr61 wrote:

Why not ?

Photoshop, Apple Silicon, and Big Sur | macOS 11 - Adobe ...

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/apple-silicon-m1-chip.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-big-sur.html#Rosetta2emulationcompatibility

Rosetta 2 an emulator built into macOS Big Sur that will enable ARM Macs to run old Intel apps. Rosetta 2 essentially “translates” instructions that were written for Intel processors into commands that Apple’s chips can understand. Developers won’t need to make any changes to their old apps; they’ll just work.

Dec 13, 2020 1:20 AM in response to petr61

I’m running Catalina (I upgraded from Mojave) and still need to use Photoshop and Dreamweaver CS6. What I did was make a new partition and installed Mojave on it then installed CS6. Just use Option key at startup to use whichever OS for your needs, Catalina for latest versions of WOW, Numbers, Pages etc and switch to Mojave when I need to edit photos or work on my website. Hope this helps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.