Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email Keeps Closing

Why does mail keep closing before we can open our emails??

iMac, 10.11

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 9:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 12:38 PM

Open (Apple menu) > System Preferences... > Internet Accounts and remove your email account. Then, add that email account again. Those steps are described in Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. Follow them in reverse order—in other words remove, and then add that same account.

If you have more than one email service provider, remove them one at a time. Launch Mail after each account removal, to determine if you removed an affected account.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 12:38 PM in response to KLBMpls

Open (Apple menu) > System Preferences... > Internet Accounts and remove your email account. Then, add that email account again. Those steps are described in Add or remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. Follow them in reverse order—in other words remove, and then add that same account.

If you have more than one email service provider, remove them one at a time. Launch Mail after each account removal, to determine if you removed an affected account.

Dec 10, 2020 4:35 PM in response to John Galt

I've done this, twice. Doesn't work. My email still closes immediately when I click on my New Mail folder, or any other folder. Suddenly, the entire email application just disappears (!) I have been doing my emails through Google for now. The iCloud email account is still working though. So I go back there to check the iCloud mails.

Dec 10, 2020 5:07 PM in response to KLBMpls

After you isolate the affected account, use its webmail interface to find and delete the message(s) causing Mail to crash. That may take some time depending on the number of email messages you choose to keep.

Once the problematic messages are deleted, only then should you add that account to Mail again. That action causes its Inbox to synchronize with that email service.

Email Keeps Closing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.