Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The content of my emails disappears after minutes, then reappears minutes later.

I think that my emails have begun to be stored externally and not locally. How do I turn off this problem?

The email notice is still visible but the message and attachments go away for minutes at a time. In all mailboxes

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2022 3:28 AM

If you really need to see content you can hit reply even if you don't want to reply. The reply email opens with the invisible content now visible. Also, if you close email and immediately reopen it usually the content reappears for a while.

8 replies

Jan 12, 2023 7:26 AM in response to mfulsac

I found a solution that actually works. Delete Apple mail permanently and switch to Outlook email instead. All the old mails and files are still there and emails open and STAY OPEN without disappearing. Too bad that none of the "experts" who relied bothered to even acknowledge the problem with apple mail and kept giving answers related to accidental deletions or misplaced rules. Rebuilding did not work etc. Dump apple and your problem is solved

Dec 3, 2022 2:48 AM in response to Outlook123

My problem is exactly the same as stated by Outlook 123 and none of the answers anywhere actually answer it. Indeed none of the answers seem to understand what the problem is. All mails remain in all the headline list on the left but the actual content disappears for minutes at a time and then suddenly reappears. Without me doing anything to produce either change. And this applies to all accounts and all mailboxes.

Nov 1, 2022 4:14 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Thank you for a thoughtful response but it is not exactly the problem. I am not losing the emails. They remain in the list with to/from and subject lines. It is the Contents of the email that disappear temporarily - maybe for ten minutes or so. The content is blank and suddenly reappears. In all mailboxes: Inbox, Sent, Trash etc.

The email is still there and suddenly the text of the email itself disappears after having been visible for a while. The emails remain visible in the list but the text and attachments disappear and reappear after a few minutes. Double clicking opens the email but there is no content, no text - for a while. Minutes.

I think they are still on the provider server and are just not accessible at all times.

But it is the content of the message that disappears, not the message itself.

Oct 31, 2022 5:13 PM in response to Outlook123

Hi crapsupport,

From what you described in your original post, here is what we recommend: If emails appear to be missing in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Next, we'd like to show you how to perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above. Please click to open the link, read through it, and try the steps below.

*If you use more than one email account in Mail, make sure you’re looking at messages for the correct account.

*If you sorted messages, they may be in the list but not in the order you expect.

*If the missing emails are from a specific person or group, check whether you blocked messages from them.

*If you use rules, they may have moved messages to other mailboxes. Try searching for the messages.

*Check the account’s Recovered Messages mailbox, if available in the Mail sidebar.

*Quit Mail, then reopen it.

If the problem persists, you may need to rebuild a mailbox.

If you set up Time Machine to back up files on your Mac, you can use the backups to restore content that Mail downloaded (based on options set in Mail and on your Mac). See Restore items backed up with Time Machine.

The reason why we are recommending the steps above is because they will show you what to do if messages seem to be missing from mailboxes in the Mail app on your Mac.

If you're still experiencing the same issue, contact the community for more help.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Nov 1, 2022 8:30 AM in response to Outlook123

Hello and thank you for getting back to us here in Communities.

Try rebuilding your mailbox to see if that helps. Use the steps found in this article: Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support Rebuilding the mailbox may help with retrieving messages that aren't coming in correctly.

Rebuild mailboxes in Mail on Mac
You may need to rebuild a mailbox to update the list of messages it contains. For example, if messages appear to be missing or garbled, or if you can’t find all relevant messages when you search using the Entire Message search option.
1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, select a mailbox in the sidebar.
2. Choose Mailbox > Rebuild.
When you rebuild mailboxes for IMAP or Exchange accounts, messages and attachments stored on your Mac are discarded, and then downloaded again from the mail server to your Mac. Your mailbox appears empty until the download is complete.

Keep us updated.

Cheers!

The content of my emails disappears after minutes, then reappears minutes later.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.