Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K - Dolby Vision AND Dolby Atmos Support

Hello,

I have a question about the requirements needed to play Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos titles on my TV.

Simple question, does the Apple TV 4K need to be plugged into an HDMI ARC or eARC to play Dolby Vision titles?

I recently upgraded my soundbar to the Sonos Arc and the soundbar needs to be plugged into an HDMI ARC port (which will give me Dolby Digital + (lossy)) or an HDMI eARC port (which will give me Dolby Digital TrueHD (lossless)).

Only problem is my Sony XBR75X950G TV only has one HDMI port that is both ARC/eARC and it seems that both my soundbar and Apple TV 4K both need an eARC connection.

So I feel like I'm stuck choosing between good quality HDR video content like Dolby Vision or good quality sound with Dolby Atmos.

The other alternative would be to plug my soundbar into the HDMI ARC/eARC port on my TV and any time I come across a Dolby Vision title on Netflix through my Apple TV I would stop using my Apple TV and use the native Netflix app on the TV which supports Dolby Vision. Kind of frustrating.

I hope this makes sense and maybe there's a simple solution that I haven't yet thought of.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 7:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2020 9:07 PM

Simple question, does the Apple TV 4K need to be plugged into an HDMI ARC or eARC to play Dolby Vision titles?

Neither. The ARC/eARC ports are to be used for the connection between the TV and the audio equipment.

You plug the Apple TV to a regular HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 (or better) port on the TV, then set the TV to passthrough the audio.

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI-eARC]→ soundbar

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2020 9:07 PM in response to TVsWill

Neither. The ARC/eARC ports are to be used for the connection between the TV and the audio equipment.

You plug the Apple TV to a regular HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 (or better) port on the TV, then set the TV to passthrough the audio.

Apple TV →[HDMI]→ TV →[HDMI-eARC]→ soundbar

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Apple TV 4K - Dolby Vision AND Dolby Atmos Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.