Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone opens photo app on iMac but goes into a loop of being recognised

when I connect my iPhone 7+ 14.2 to my iMac Catalina I OFTEN - but not always- get stuck in a loop where the app recognises the phone & say preparing to download photos & the iMac charges my phone but then the charging stops and the phone is no longer recognised by photos app. This repeats continually every second. I have tried all the usual ideas - changing USB port & restarting the mac. Once it starts looping I have only one alternative : Unplug the phone. Any ideas ?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 8:09 AM

Hi Pete3rdfloor,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We are committed to making sure that you get the most out of your Apple devices, rest assured that we’ll do our best to assist you.

Are you using the steps in the article below to connect your iPhone to your iMac?

Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad

Have you had the chance to use a different Lightning cable? If yes, are you experiencing a similar issue?

Have you had the chance to make sure that the charging port of your iPhone is free of any dirt or debris?

Have you had the chance to connect a different iOS or iPadOS device to your iMac? If yes, are you experiencing a similar issue?

Do you have other accessories that are connected to your iMac? Does the issue persists if you remove the other accessories?

Please keep us posted!

Take care!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 8:09 AM in response to Pete3rdfloor

Hi Pete3rdfloor,

We appreciate you reaching out to us. We are committed to making sure that you get the most out of your Apple devices, rest assured that we’ll do our best to assist you.

Are you using the steps in the article below to connect your iPhone to your iMac?

Sync content between your Mac and iPhone or iPad

Have you had the chance to use a different Lightning cable? If yes, are you experiencing a similar issue?

Have you had the chance to make sure that the charging port of your iPhone is free of any dirt or debris?

Have you had the chance to connect a different iOS or iPadOS device to your iMac? If yes, are you experiencing a similar issue?

Do you have other accessories that are connected to your iMac? Does the issue persists if you remove the other accessories?

Please keep us posted!

Take care!

iPhone opens photo app on iMac but goes into a loop of being recognised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.