Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OK to update to Big Sure on my MacBook Pro 16"

Just wanted to check to see if there are any issues with Big Sur before I update.

Thx

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 12:15 PM

i would say that if you have a good backup, go ahead and upgrade. in my case the upgrade went smooth, with everything in it's place. the user feel hasn't really changed. most of the upgrade seems to be "behind the scenes" stuff for security and performance. but, as with any software upgrade, it's good to have a backup incase you need to revert.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 12:15 PM in response to Fred Davenport

i would say that if you have a good backup, go ahead and upgrade. in my case the upgrade went smooth, with everything in it's place. the user feel hasn't really changed. most of the upgrade seems to be "behind the scenes" stuff for security and performance. but, as with any software upgrade, it's good to have a backup incase you need to revert.

Dec 8, 2020 3:19 PM in response to jeffreythefrog

Uh...OO..

You make me worry about:

1. if possible, use a wired ethernet connection to download the OS.

also

you may experience massive battery drain for the first couple of days due to the spotlite re-indexing itself. if you can, leave your charger connected while your MBP completes this process.

I think I am going to wait a few more days/weeks before I Update to Big Sur

Dec 8, 2020 3:36 PM in response to Fred Davenport

that's fine. you can do as you wish. it's you that needs your mac. but it's been recommended here many times that you use a wired ethernet connection, if possible, to download the OS upgrades. if you can't, you should at least make sure the mac is as close to the router as you can get it. as far as the battery drain issue, there's a lot of things your mac will need to do after the installation. that's not going to change if you decide to wait. and finally, there's no rush. the upgrade will still be waiting for you if you do decide to wait. it's not as if it's a limited time offer. :)

OK to update to Big Sure on my MacBook Pro 16"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.