Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE Wi-fi and self assigned IP

Hi there. I have had the same phone for 10 months, the same router for 24 months, the same fibre provider (BT) forever.

my phone in the last 2-3 weeks has developed an issue where it constantly drops off the Wi-fi. Then it will show it’s on the Wi-fi in the Wi-fi screen, but not actually be connected. We have 3 other iPads newer and older which do not have this problem and a slightly older iPhone that doesn’t have this problem. Nothing, apart from the 14.2 IOS update has changed in the last few weeks. I have spoken to 2 apple support people today for a total of 1 hour. Their conclusion is “you need to speak to BT as it’s an issue with you connecting to your router, and is a Self Assigned IP Address issue”. Can anyone tell me if they’ve experienced this and how on earth this issue can only affect 1 iPhone and not all other Apple devices and how this issue can suddenly occur? Trying to get BT to fix this will be like pulling teach from a crocodile, so very much hoping someone can explain? Thank you.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 8:19 AM

Have you tried restarting your router? Sometimes the “DHCP daemon” in the router that assigns IP addresses crashes, and to restart it you must turn off the router for 15-30 seconds. If this function is not working your phone will self-assign an IP address that begins 169.254. And it can affect just one device, because all of the others have IP addresses whose leases have not expired.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 8:19 AM in response to Pascoe0987

Have you tried restarting your router? Sometimes the “DHCP daemon” in the router that assigns IP addresses crashes, and to restart it you must turn off the router for 15-30 seconds. If this function is not working your phone will self-assign an IP address that begins 169.254. And it can affect just one device, because all of the others have IP addresses whose leases have not expired.

iPhone SE Wi-fi and self assigned IP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.