Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen sharing - stuck in full size

We have a MacBook Air running High Sierra 10.13.6 on which I've been successfully, for months, sharing the screen of another Mac, that is using an external 1920x1200 monitor, to the MacBook Air. In order to be able to see the entire desktop of the Mac with the big monitor in the window on the MacBook Air, I choose "Scale to fit available space".

Last night, that preference suddenly stopped working on the laptop, even though I did not turn off scale to fit available space. It just happened spontaneously. In other words, to see the screen of the other Mac, I had to scroll side to side and up and down. And toggling back and forth between Show full size and Scale to fit available space made absolutely no difference. It is permanently set on Full size.

First of all, is this more likely some sort of an issue with the computer that is sharing its screen, or the laptop that is viewing the screen?

I have not (yet) tried some of the usual troubleshooting approaches - trying it in Safe Boot, or seeing what happens with a new temporary user.

If I were to find out the problem lies with original user's profile, does anybody know the name of the preferences file for Mac OS screen sharing.

Thanks for looking,

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 3:50 PM

Safe mode didn't work. I didn't need to pursue the other resets because we found that in the View menu, that scaling was turned off. If scaling is off, "Scale to fit available space" doesn't override it. It's all good now. Thank you for taking a look and replying.

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 13, 2020 9:56 AM in response to gh1852

Hello gh1852.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see that you are having some trouble with adjusting the display for your MacBook Air and Mac being used as en external monitor. We will be glad to assist. We would recommend trying an SMC and NVRAM reset first to see if it clears things up:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac

Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

If the problem persists, then safe mode would also be recommended next.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Cheers.

Screen sharing - stuck in full size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.