Spaces screen sharing with other Mac stops working after MacOS update

Every time there is a MacOS update, my ability to screen share my MacMini in a Space on my MBP13 stops working. Sometimes I can get it to work, other times not. I have the MacMini screen shared on the desktop of my MBP13, but I can't get it to appear in a different Space.

When I click the Mission Control Shortcut, I see the two MBP13 Desktops listed in the Mission Control bar at the top of the screen, and I think I used to just drag the MacMini screen share into the Mission Control Bar and it creates a space and fills that space, but now it just adds a third MPB13 space which includes the MacMini screen.

Frankly I only have to go through this process after a software update so though I try to keep good notes, it never seems to work the same.

MacBook Pro 13″, 13.5

Posted on Sep 12, 2023 6:26 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 13, 2023 6:22 PM in response to CPW

The OS on the MBP is Ventura 13.5.2 while the MacMini was 13.3.1. I have automatic updates enabled on that machine but it didn't update it. I checked for updates and just installed 13.5.2 and the MBP now shows as a "Screen Sharing" window, the 3rd window from the left, just like it used to. So problem resolved!

Oct 9, 2023 5:57 PM in response to CPW

Back to the same problem with the Sonoma update. I can't get my MacMini to appear as a "Space".

I have a two spaces for my MacBookPro and hitting Ctrl RightArrow takes me to desktop 2.. Repeating that should take me to the MacMini display.

Under Screen Mirroring there are two displays shown, the MBP and my MacMini.

Don't think this is the same as a "screen space", which seems to be very poorly documented. When I search for "Screen Spaces" I get lots of unrelated content.

Sep 13, 2023 4:16 PM in response to Barney-15E

I’ll take a look at this. Where would I disable Full Screen? I never did before. I’m pretty sure I previously just dragged the MacMini’s screen to the Spaces bar and it created a third Space of the MacMini which was the full screen MacMini desktop, not a MBP13 desktop with the MacMini screen on it.

Of course, naming the feature “Spaces” means if I search Apple support and discussions on the website, I get mostly issues related to the space bar on the keyboard. Someone didn’t put much thought into the naming of this feature.

Spaces screen sharing with other Mac stops working after MacOS update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.