Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Add a Digital Booklet/PDF (from CD purchase) to iTunes Music Library

Hello

I purchased some music from another legitimate music provider and I am adding them to my iTunes library.

These cds come with digital booklets in pdf form. However, the pdfs are not adding to my iTunes music library.

How do I add the pdfs to my library so that the pdf is associated with the cd in the music library view?

As near as I can tell they are the same format/file name (.pdf) and accessibility settings as similar purchases (cd/digital booklet) that I have made from the iTunes store - and these iTunes purchases display correctly in the music library view (both the music and booklet).

This is for iTunes on Windows 10.

Thank you

Andrew

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 7:37 AM

OK, just tried this again in iTunes 12.10.10.2 running on Windows 7.

I copied a PDF called <Album> - Digital Booklet.pdf into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder inside my iTunes Media folder. It was moved to a folder called Books! (iTunes for Windows no longer supports Books so that was a surprise.) I created a smart playlist with the rule Kind contains PDF, the previous rule should have worked just as well. The item showed up. I selected it and used Ctrl+I to get song info. On the Options tab it said that the media kind was music, but it didn't show up in Music. I changed the media kind to Podcast, clicked OK, pressed Ctrl+I again and changed the media kind to Music on the Options tab, then on the Details tab I entered the album, artist, and album artist details before clicking OK once more. The digital booklet is now part of the album in my library. If the Keep media organized option is enabled the file will also be moved to the correct album folder.

Might take a little work, but I'm sure you can do it too.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 7:37 AM in response to Ajmarino

OK, just tried this again in iTunes 12.10.10.2 running on Windows 7.

I copied a PDF called <Album> - Digital Booklet.pdf into the Automatically Add to iTunes folder inside my iTunes Media folder. It was moved to a folder called Books! (iTunes for Windows no longer supports Books so that was a surprise.) I created a smart playlist with the rule Kind contains PDF, the previous rule should have worked just as well. The item showed up. I selected it and used Ctrl+I to get song info. On the Options tab it said that the media kind was music, but it didn't show up in Music. I changed the media kind to Podcast, clicked OK, pressed Ctrl+I again and changed the media kind to Music on the Options tab, then on the Details tab I entered the album, artist, and album artist details before clicking OK once more. The digital booklet is now part of the album in my library. If the Keep media organized option is enabled the file will also be moved to the correct album folder.

Might take a little work, but I'm sure you can do it too.

tt2

Dec 10, 2020 6:18 PM in response to turingtest2

YES!!! That worked. Thank you!!!

But, I think your emoji should have more hoops to jump through :)

I found a few other pdfs that I didn't even know I had. And, I cleaned up some extra and "deleted-file not found" pdfs (still showing in the smart playlist) that I found or duplicated from previous attempts at solving this problem.

Thank you

Andrew

• the only thing I found was that after switching from podcast to music in media kind I was only given 3 choices to choose from - classical / jazz / rock - but I do not care because the pdf is with the correct album (and music genre) and I do not need the genre listed for the pdf. I really am not that nitpicky :)

Dec 9, 2020 4:24 AM in response to Ajmarino

Last time I tried PDF files dropped into iTunes were accepted as podcasts. As long as you use the standard naming convention <Album> - Digital Booklet.pdf a smart playlist with the rule Name contains Digital Booklet should pick up the file. Once you can get info you can change the media kind to Music and set the properties so it becomes part of its album.

tt2

Dec 9, 2020 6:12 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for the reply.

However, that does not seem to work. I looked in all the locations music/podcasts/audiobooks/movies/tv.

I also tried renaming the digital booklet/pdf in the exact same format as iTunes digital booklets associated with cds I purchased from the iTunes store. No luck.

The only digital booklets I have available in my music library are those associated with cd purchases from the iTunes store.

It is kind of frustrating because sometimes I may want to get some recording information/lyrics etc. from a booklet.

Thank you

Andrew

How to Add a Digital Booklet/PDF (from CD purchase) to iTunes Music Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.