Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up VLC on Apple TV 4K to access files on Mac Mini?

I use a MacMini 2012 (OS Catalina) as media center, and record tv broadcasts using EyeTV hardware+software. The recordings are saved as .MPG or .TS files.

I recently bought an Apple TV 4K, and have installed the VLC app.

I have set up file sharing on the Mac Mini, sharing the EyeTV folder via SMB.

Now VLC can see the SMB share and when I try to access the share, I am presented with a login box.

But no matter how hard I try, I cannot get access :(

I fill in Username and Password (I have tried both my user account and my admin account), but do not know how to fill out Port and Workgroup. I tried 445 and the name of the Mac Mini.

I also tried "Anonymous login", and am presented with a simpler login box with only Username and Password - but it asks me to fill in the Username in the format DOMAIN;username. Again I am lost.

Question

Any help on where to find the information VLC needs, or how to set up the sharing on the Mac Mini?

Thank you in advance :)

Screendumps:

Login from VLC:

Normal login:

Anonymous login:

Setup of the Mac Mini:

This issue is related to my previous question "How to share media files on MacMini with Apple TV", where I used the Media Sharing option of the Mac Mini - but I need a solution where I do not have to convert all my media files to another format.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252130504

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 1:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 4:10 PM

Also set: System Preferences﹥Users & Groups﹥Guest User﹥

☑︎ Allow guest users to connect to shared folders.

When using Anonymous Login, do not fill in any fields, just click the button. If the shared folder has Read Only privileges or more for Everyone, then you should be able to access it without further questions. I can’t replicate your authentication message with Anonymous Login.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 4:10 PM in response to Erik Jon Sloth

Also set: System Preferences﹥Users & Groups﹥Guest User﹥

☑︎ Allow guest users to connect to shared folders.

When using Anonymous Login, do not fill in any fields, just click the button. If the shared folder has Read Only privileges or more for Everyone, then you should be able to access it without further questions. I can’t replicate your authentication message with Anonymous Login.

How to set up VLC on Apple TV 4K to access files on Mac Mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.