Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air 2020 and iMac as display

I would like to connect my late 2013 iMac 21`5 inch to a MacBook Air 2020 as an external display.

I am using a hub on the Air and would like to connect via HDMI to the Thunderbolt port on the iMac.

There are so many conflicting pieces of advice regarding the cable needed to make this link.

Can someone please help and advise: what connector and/or cable do I need to do this and can it even be done with HDMI or only through the Air`s proper Thunderbolt 3 port to the iMac`s Thunderbolt port?

Secondly, does this iMac have a Thunderbolt, a Thunderbolt 1 or a Thunderbolt 2 port? I've checked all documentation and it is not clear.

Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 8:05 AM

ikerf wrote:

Thank you very much, so much confusion, such a simple answer.

Is there any other way of using the 2013 iMac as a screen, any wifi, ethernet, bluetooth, Airplay... any other option or is it's days done? The iMac has become unusable under Catalina, it hangs forever etc etc, so it's either gonna be a screen or I`m installing High Sierra again to at least serve as a backup.

Although slower, there is network screen sharing:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

The are also third-party solutions. Search for "mac screen sharing."

The network solution is not going to be very good for apps with fast redraws (pro apps, gaming) and may not give max resolution (images), but works fine for most business apps. Zoom videos could be an issue but I've not tried that.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 8:05 AM in response to ikerf

ikerf wrote:

Is there any other way of using the 2013 iMac as a screen, any wifi, ethernet, bluetooth, Airplay... any other option or is it's days done? The iMac has become unusable under Catalina, it hangs forever etc etc, so it's either gonna be a screen or I`m installing High Sierra again to at least serve as a backup.

Although slower, there is network screen sharing:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

The are also third-party solutions. Search for "mac screen sharing."

The network solution is not going to be very good for apps with fast redraws (pro apps, gaming) and may not give max resolution (images), but works fine for most business apps. Zoom videos could be an issue but I've not tried that.

Dec 9, 2020 6:31 AM in response to woodmeister50

Dec 9, 2020 8:45 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allen. I've just tested that and it works fine. However it's not really what I`m looking for, I'd like to drag a window from my Air to the iMac to free up some screen space and it doesn't seem to be possible. Both Macs are plugged into a fibre internet connection so the speed is quite good though.

MacBook Air 2020 and iMac as display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.