Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting MacBook Pro (2017) to iMac to use as another display

Hi!

I want to use my MacBook Pro (2017 model) as an external display for my iMac (24 inch model). I have a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 3 cord, but still can't seem to get it to connect the two. I just want to be able to seamlessly go between my MacBook and iMac while I'm working and have a dual screen setup. Would someone be able to help me figure it out. I have searched for answers but can't seem to find any!

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 2:49 PM

For the setup you describe, the iMac 27-inch 2013, running macOS High Sierra or earlier could be used as a monitor.

IF your MacBook Pro 13-inch is from 2019 or earlier AND running macOS Catalina or earlier, then connect the two with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Please read carefully this support document that details the former target display mode –

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

In a nutshell:

Target display mode is a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

Only the following older iMac models can be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.
  • The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier.
  • In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2021 2:49 PM in response to LydsTW

For the setup you describe, the iMac 27-inch 2013, running macOS High Sierra or earlier could be used as a monitor.

IF your MacBook Pro 13-inch is from 2019 or earlier AND running macOS Catalina or earlier, then connect the two with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.

Please read carefully this support document that details the former target display mode –

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

In a nutshell:

Target display mode is a feature that was available only with certain older iMac models.

Only the following older iMac models can be used as an external display when plugged into another older Mac model:

• iMac models introduced in 2011, 2012, 2013, and mid 2014 using Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 cable.
  • 24-inch and 27-inch iMac models introduced in 2009 and 2010 using Mini DisplayPort cable.
  • The intended target iMac must be running macOS 10.13 High Sierra or earlier.
  • In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

Connecting MacBook Pro (2017) to iMac to use as another display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.