Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use a new 24" iMac as an external display for a MacBook Air?

I would like to buy the new 24" iMac, but need to be able to use it as additional display for my "work macbook air". So I would like to connect the two, to use iMac as display for my macbook air. will that work and if so - what do i need to do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 6, 2022 9:46 AM

Hi,

On these forums, Apple is not present. They are simply our hosts and all responders are end users just like you.

However, to answer your question no you cannot use ANY iMac as an external display since 2015. Please read the information in Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode). My advice (and most other experienced users advice) is to simply buy an external display for your MBA. This solution is:

1. Much more reliable than Target Display Mode ever was.
  2. Cheaper as a it does not require expensive cabling.
  3. Simple to setup and use.

Please remember that Macs are computers and were never intended to be external displays for other devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 6, 2022 9:46 AM in response to heidischweiz1977

Hi,

On these forums, Apple is not present. They are simply our hosts and all responders are end users just like you.

However, to answer your question no you cannot use ANY iMac as an external display since 2015. Please read the information in Target Display Mode (Target Display Mode). My advice (and most other experienced users advice) is to simply buy an external display for your MBA. This solution is:

1. Much more reliable than Target Display Mode ever was.
  2. Cheaper as a it does not require expensive cabling.
  3. Simple to setup and use.

Please remember that Macs are computers and were never intended to be external displays for other devices.

Sep 6, 2022 10:00 AM in response to heidischweiz1977

..heidischweiz:

Another idea to pursue use of MacBook /Air or /Pro?

May be to see this vendor page, it may (or not) be an

answer for portability with second similar display.

Has fair info, and is provided in reference only.

Could lead to other solutions. As a Volunteer

fellow mac-user, this only peeked my interest.

Only noticed by accident, cannot verify or substantiate

any claims of product viability, nor fitness of purpose.

https://www.gechic.com/en/how-to-set-up-dual-monitors-on-macbook-os/

Is it possible to use a new 24" iMac as an external display for a MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.