Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Believe I’ve been scammed: Can I remotely check a lock status?

I’ve sold an iPhone X on eBay. I was careful to remove it from my account and reset it before sending.

The buyer has now sent me a photo showing an iPhone X that is activation locked, with a part-redacted email address that is not my own (so I do not believe the phone is mine). He’s asking for my login details which of course I won’t give.

I’m concerned he’s going to raise a case against me and get a refund, or return a locked phone to me which isn’t the one I sent to him.

Besides “learning from my experience”, is there anything I can do? Can I prove via the EMEI or Serial of the phone that I shipped him that it’s actually not locked?

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 10:55 AM

It appears you are being scammed. Certainly if you have proof of the serial number of the phone you sent him that should suffice eBay from granting a refund. That's unfortunately between you and eBay however. Apple won't help as they don't get involved in the secondary market or disputes about already purchased merchandise at all.

eBay by the way would be the last place on the planet I would sell any electronic item.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 10:55 AM in response to MattDale52

It appears you are being scammed. Certainly if you have proof of the serial number of the phone you sent him that should suffice eBay from granting a refund. That's unfortunately between you and eBay however. Apple won't help as they don't get involved in the secondary market or disputes about already purchased merchandise at all.

eBay by the way would be the last place on the planet I would sell any electronic item.

Believe I’ve been scammed: Can I remotely check a lock status?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.