Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iTunes folder to Catalina or Big Sur Music.app

FYI. I have tested how to best import an old iTunes folder to the Music.app on a cleanly installed Big Sur (Catalina was the same but I skipped it). My current "iTunes" folder in Mojave was created 2006 (15 GB folder containing 1800 songs).

With my setup the Music.app could successfully parse the old “iTunes Library.itl” and convert it to the new “Music Library.musiclibrary”.

In that process the Music.app wanted to create a new mainly empty “Music” folder. I want all stuff in the same folder so I manually organised the old iTunes folder to the new Music.app layout:

~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary

~/Music/Music/Media/Music/[imported and downloaded artists/albums]

~/Music/Music/Media/Automatically Add to Music/ <- created automatically

~/Music/Music/Media/Downloads-Music/ <- created after authorisation (Catalina)

Convert old iTunes folder to the new folder structure:

0. In the old macOS iTunes.app check the song count (View > Show Status Bar) so you can compare it in the new Music.app.

1. Copy the old "iTunes" folder to macOS 11.0 Big Sur ~/Music/ folder and rename it "Music".

2. Option-start macOS 11.0 Big Sur Music.app and choose the old ~/Music/Music/iTunes Library.itl as a library. Music.app prompts to create a new “Music 1” folder. Save it on the Desktop (or where ever because this folder is deleted at step #5).

3. Wait a while for the old library to load (check the song count via View > Show Status Bar).

4. Quit Music.app. Open “Music 1” folder created in step #2 and move "Music Library.musiclibrary" from it to the ~/Music/Music/ folder you renamed in step #1. Delete the temporary “Music 1” folder from the Desktop.

5. Inside ~/Music/Music/ folder create a new "Media" folder, rename the old "iTunes Music" folder to "Music" and move it to "Media" folder you just created.

6. Option-start macOS 11.0 Big Sur Music.app and choose the newly created and moved ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary as a library.

7. Open Music.app > Preferences... > Files, click "Reset", "OK" and "Yes" to the alert "Would you like to move and rename the files in your new Media folder to match the "Keep Media folder organized" preference?".

8. Quit Music.app. Inside ~/Music/Music/Media/Music/ folder delete the "Automatically Add to iTunes" and "Automatically Add to Music" folders after verifying they are empty (a new "Automatically Add to Music" was created in step #7 in the upper folder).

9. Now you should have all imported songs available in the new Music.app with the new folder structure.

There are the following old iTunes files that AFAIK serve no purpose anymore and might be deleted. I am not yet sure whether the "Album Artwork" is still needed because the album art is still there even if it is trashed.

iTunes Library Extras.itdb

iTunes Library Genius.itdb

iTunes Library.itl

iTunes Library.xml

iTunes Music Library.xml

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 12:01 PM

104 replies

Oct 28, 2021 7:01 AM in response to Marfos27

Marfos27 wrote:

Thank you for all your efforts and for posting this.
I wish I had the brain power to follow your instructions. The problem is that my old computer is dead so I have to use the iTunes folder from time machine. Also all these music/music/music folders are really confusing.
I bet they do it on purpose...

Restore the iTunes folder from backup, press and hold down option as you start Music and click the Choose Library option, select the iTunes Library.itl file inside the iTunes folder, choose a location to save the converted Music Library.musiclibrary database.

tt2

Oct 28, 2021 7:28 AM in response to turingtest2

Could it really be that simple tt2?

So, if I understand correctly, I press and hold down option as I start Music and click the Choose Library option, select the iTunes Library.itl file inside the iTunes folder on my Time Machine backup, right?

Which location would be best to save this database?

Does that mean that this library is readily available as a/the Music library or is it a separate library I have to choose when I want to play my old music on Music (such a well chosen name for this app...)?

Oct 28, 2021 9:57 AM in response to Marfos27

Marfos27 wrote:

Could it really be that simple tt2?
So, if I understand correctly, I press and hold down option as I start Music and click the Choose Library option, select the iTunes Library.itl file inside the iTunes folder on my Time Machine backup, right?
Which location would be best to save this database?
Does that mean that this library is readily available as a/the Music library or is it a separate library I have to choose when I want to play my old music on Music (such a well chosen name for this app...)?

Close, but don't access the file in your Time Machine backup directly. Copy the iTunes folder from the Time Machine backup into the new computer, either into ~/Music which is your user folder, or into the top level folder of any other volume that you want to use to hold the library. The default location for the Music library would be ~/Music/Music so you can use that if you want to (you might need to delete or rename any existing folder there first) or again you can use the top level folder of another drive as <Volume>/Music.

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community for a more complete breakdown with a discussion of various pitfalls, but it generally doesn't have to be that complicated.

tt2

Oct 28, 2021 11:48 AM in response to Sweejak

See Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community. The active .itl file would seem to be the one you have there modified today. You can ditch iTunes Music Library.xml and iTunes Temp, and the Mobile Applications folder will be redundant if you're on iTunes 12.7 or later. Now the question is, is all your media inside that iTunes Music folder, or is it elsewhere such as that iTunes Folder 2021 you posted a shot of earlier, or split between the two? Moving the library is easier when it is in the standard iTunes/iTunes Media/<All of your media> layout but it can usually be fixed after the fact if necessary.

tt2

Nov 22, 2021 6:39 AM in response to EsTaF

[https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252151523?answerId=254782285022#254782285022 So should I

1) rename "iTunes Media" to "Media" (Step 5)

2) combine that with the old duplicate "iTunes Music" folders (Step 5), then

3) reset the library to point to Music/Music/Media (Step 7) etc]

[https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252151523?answerId=252151523021#252151523021

5. Inside ~/Music/Music/ folder create a new "Media" folder, rename the old "iTunes Music" folder to "Music" and move it to "Media" folder you just created.

Done, but... it didn't pick up any of the files moved to the new "Media" folder. Due to my dual location set-up (?) it chose the default file location as the old

.../Music/Music/Music/iTunes Media; not ....Music/Music/Music/Media

(.itl library file also only found the /Music/Music/Music/iTunes Media; not the ....Music/Music/Music/Media)

As a result, I reversed step 5, trying to recreate the ...Music/Music/iTunes Music folder, but iTunes now can't locate those files.

I fear I'm going to have to unwind everything and start over; going through 'reorganise' the entire library didn't pick up the old "music" files either.

6. Option-start macOS 11.0 Big Sur Music.app and choose the newly created and moved ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary as a library.]

[https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252151523?answerId=252151523021#252151523021

8. Quit Music.app. Inside ~/Music/Music/iTune Media/ folder delete the "Automatically Add to iTunes" and "Automatically Add to Music" folders after verifying they are empty (a new "Automatically Add to Music" was created in step #7 in the Inside ~/Music/Music/Media folder).]

Is it right?

And where is there a "7" and "4" point?

Feb 12, 2021 8:49 AM in response to Matti Haveri

I don't know much about this stuff, but I had about the same problems some of you reported about missing songs during migration from a Mac running iTunes on OS 10.14 to the new Mac running Big Sur and Music App.  I would say that nearly half of my songs disappeared or could not be found and all of my playlists disappeared using Migration Assistant, which was also a disaster if you don't know not to copy System files.   There is, however, a time consuming but very straightforward means to make sure your entire iTunes library and playlist transfers, without going through iTunes Match or a Music account. .

1. Copy your iTunes folder to your computer, if not already there..
  2. Navigate to Users/username/Music/Music/Media
  3. When you open the Media folder, you will see a folder titled "Automatically Add to Music"
  4. Drag your iTunes media folders to the "Automatically Add to Music."  This should start loading your entire library to Music.
  5. If you had a failed migration as I did, you will have duplicates. Just go into your Songs library and use "Show Duplicates" and sort by date added.  Mostly, you can then delete the older files, many of which probably did not work when you first transferred them.  Just be careful you don't delete similarly named songs.

This does not bring over your playlists.  I did it the hard way and exported from iTunes each playlist as an XML file, sent them via Air Drop to my new Mac and then imported each one via Music.  I did not see a way to export or import multiple playlists. 

So far, this has worked perfectly for audio files, though I am sure something went wrong somewhere. . Some files (like video files, of course) do not transfer.  These appear in the "Not Added" subfolder.

Mar 8, 2021 11:27 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thank you for proposing this fix... I ran into a number of issues in converting my iTunes library to Apple to Music as prescribed.

My set-up was years in the making:

• 320GB of music, 25k+ songs (~9k unchecked)
  • highest-quality album-art + lyrics added; 100's of playlists
  • files reside in both iTunes Media and iTunes Music folders, ie. never consolidated

(iTunes pre-Big Sur worked fine without doing so; volume of files made consolidation via necessary file duplication undesirable)

I ran into the following issues

Step 4. Quit Music.app. Open “Music 1” folder created in step #2 and move "Music Library.musiclibrary" from it to the ~/Music/Music/ folder you renamed in step #1. Delete the temporary “Music 1” folder from the Desktop.

"Music Library.musiclibrary" didn't exist, only "Music Library."

(need to uncheck "hide the extension" box, now, however, the library detail never 'stuck' using this file; I had to keep going back to opening iTunes with the old .itl file to see the library)

Done, but... it didn't pick up any of the files moved to the new "Media" folder. Due to my dual location set-up (?) it chose the default file location as the old

.../Music/Music/Music/iTunes Media; not ....Music/Music/Music/Media

(.itl library file also only found the /Music/Music/Music/iTunes Media; not the ....Music/Music/Music/Media)

As a result, I reversed step 5, trying to recreate the ...Music/Music/iTunes Music folder, but iTunes now can't locate those files.

I fear I'm going to have to unwind everything and start over; going through 'reorganise' the entire library didn't pick up the old "music" files either.

6. Option-start macOS 11.0 Big Sur Music.app and choose the newly created and moved ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary as a library.

This continues not to work. Using the "Music Library.musiclibrary" file, as highlighted above, shows nothing. I had to keep going back to opening iTunes with the old .itl file to see the library.

In the end I had to unwind the attempt. Half the library was missing and I was still relying on the .itl library file. I will try again fresh, but having tried to consolidate the 25k+ songs via iTunes - which hasn't worked - I can't even consolidate the original iTunes folder and delete the legacy duplicates and use Big Sur this way... Hrumph.

May 10, 2021 8:41 AM in response to hape13

Thank you, again, Matti for the migration assistance. I seem to have gotten things in order...

however my library of song files (mostly mp3's converted from CD's) and new songs added to a library have recurring issues following a migration to Music 1.1.4.110 & Big Sur 11.3.1.

A few observations regarding problems within iTunes / Music:

1. Album art and lyrics of imported songs initially appear to be missing until you access file via "get info" on the title in iTunes
  2. info within imported songs cannot be altered - changes (to genre, comments, changing album titles, etc) neither save to the songs within iTunes, nor within the file details on your local drive / folder taxonomy.
  3. new .mp3 songs cannot be changed from original, input, file. No changes to album art, or song details, including, lyrics "stick" either, but rather always revert back to details of imported file.

I've done a lot of trouble-shooting - checking permissions, making sure all the info was in the previous files etc. It appears to be a problem with either Big Sur 11.3.1 or Music 1.1.4.110. or some combination of the two.

Has anyone run into a similar problem themselves? If so, do you have any tips or tricks you can share please? Thanks!

Dec 31, 2021 1:30 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Thank you for this really helpful post!

One thing that I have noticed is that I now have two "Apple Music" folders:

• ~/Music/Music/Media/Apple Music (651 folders)
  • ~/Music/Music/Media/Music/Apple Music (1261 folders)

I guess that only one of these is the correct location for "Music" and one is a throwback to iTunes? There seems to be some overlap between the folders. Looking through, taking "Adele" as an artist in both, who is near to the top of the list, there seems to be albums in both folders ("25" and "30") that aren't in my library - I probably only ever listened to them on my iPhone.

Should I keep both of these folders? Or can one be deleted?

Feb 26, 2022 6:31 PM in response to Matti Haveri

I have 326 GB of music files (99% AIFF Ripped from CD's w/ XLD) that I needed to import/copy to a clean installation of Big Sur on an external SSD*.

• Open Music app for first time on clean macOS Big Sur installation and sign into iTunes Account.

• Try File > Import from internal Mac HD and TM BU ~Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. That does not work.

• Close Music app and copy all of the music files (folders) from internal Mac HD ~Music/iTunes/iTunes Music to external macOS SSD ~Music/Media/Music. Three plus hours later, none of the music files show up after opening Music app. I thought this worked in the past.

• Next, I selected all the music folders and moved them to ~Music/Media/Automatically Add to Music. Viola! Why didn't I do that in the first place, or drag to music window.

iTunes, and Music, have always been difficult when trying to access stored music from external drive, or just copy and set up with new macOS/iMac, and yet placing them in that last folder did exactly what I wanted it to do, but why didn't Import work?

*The reason for the external macOS SSD is because my internal Mac HD has had ongoing issues (mainly with long startup time) after updating from Catalina to Big Sur a year ago. I also recently tried macOS Recovery to Erase & Reinstall macOS Big Sur to fix the issue, which did work at first, but reverted back to the same problems as soon as I used Migration Assistant to transfer my User Account back. So now I'm slowly setting up the external SSD identical to my internal Mac HD from scratch.

Jun 21, 2021 1:03 AM in response to enamic5

> Anything I might be doing wrong?

YMMV, my cookbook works with my macMini 2018 and also my son's MBP previous quite simple non-iCloud Mojave local files. Maybe try to log out from Music.app etc before trying to convert the previous iTunes local folder to Music.app folder structure.

If all else fails, you could re-import the songs to the new Big Sur Music.app although you then might lose some metadata like Rating, Plays, Last Played etc.

But please post if you find some fine-tuning to the cookbook.

Dec 19, 2020 7:59 AM in response to Matti Haveri

This didn't work for me. I must have done something wrong. I put the old iTunes folder in the new music folder which already had one folder in it named "Music" and within in that two folders names "Media" and "Music Library".

Anyway, I put the iTunes in the Music folder which put it in the 2nd Music folder and I renamed it also "Music" . I then option opened the Music App and when it asked me to choose a library and I tried to select any of those Music folders the "choose" button was not highlighted to select.😖

Old iTunes folder to Catalina or Big Sur Music.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.