Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I connect two external monitors to Macbook Air 2020?

Hoping someone may have insight on the potential adapters I may need for a new office set up. I have a Macbook Air 2020 with 2 x Thunderbolt 3 connections, and I have purchased 2 of these hp screens: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072ZBX5FV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would like to be able to connect these two external monitors to have an extended desktop (i.e. the two monitors will not mirror the same image) with the Macbook lid closed, so the Macbook only needs to drive two screens in total (not three).

I have also purchased one of these USB C Hub Docking Stations:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08MW6TGB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and connected one monitor via HDMI, and the other monitor via VGA cable. Both monitors work and light up when both connected, however the Macbook doesn't show 3 screens within the 'Arrangement' settings, only 2. Both monitors are displaying a mirror image of each other, but different to the Macbook screen. I can't work out how to have these 2 monitors displaying different screens. I've even closed the Macbook lid to see if this makes a difference, but it doesn't and the monitors are still mirroring each other.

Am I missing something here? I have attached a couple of photos to help explain better. Would appreciate any support with this.

Both monitors plugged in, but Macbook only recognising 1

When lid is closed, Macbook doesnt recoginise additional screen

One screen connected via HDMI and the other via VGA

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 3:45 AM

FWIW, many of the inexpensive external USB-C docks will only "mirror" what is on

the internal display.

Also, the new M1 MacBook Airs can only support a single "independent"

external display per their specification. To get this, you need to connect

directly to two one of the Thunderbolt ports with the appropriate adapter

or get a Thunderbolt or USB-C dock that explicitly specifies that their

video ports act as a separate video connection.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 3:45 AM in response to rand2020

FWIW, many of the inexpensive external USB-C docks will only "mirror" what is on

the internal display.

Also, the new M1 MacBook Airs can only support a single "independent"

external display per their specification. To get this, you need to connect

directly to two one of the Thunderbolt ports with the appropriate adapter

or get a Thunderbolt or USB-C dock that explicitly specifies that their

video ports act as a separate video connection.

Dec 10, 2020 2:57 AM in response to rand2020

My question to you is off topic sorry but nevertheless : does your Air get hot with this setup? My Air runs quite cool except with Microsoft Teams which is an absolute nightmare. With this setup you have, are the fans on regularly if you watch a video on one screen while typing away on another?

Thanks in advance.

Can I connect two external monitors to Macbook Air 2020?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.