Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Library and iPhoto Library?

I purchased a new Mac and migrated my files over. In Users > MyUserName > Photos I found both a Photos Library and an iPhoto Library. Photos Library is 29.12 GB and iPhoto Library is 20.6 GB. I'm guessing that iPhoto Library is the older version of my current photo library, but I don't understand why the two libraries weren't merged. Obviously, I don't want to throw anything away until I resolve this and make sure they are ALL duplicates. How do I do this?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 3:38 PM

The libraries would not be merged. When you first opened the old iPhoto library in Photos, a duplicate library is created in the new Photos format. As Niel said, provided you didn't add any new photos to the old iPhoto library then all of the photos you had will now been the new Photos library.

However, I understand you want to be certain that you are not deleting any old photos. iPhoto will not run on Catalina, do you have an old Mac running a version of OS X pre Yosemite? You can try opening the iPhoto library in Photos but you will probably get the message that the library has already migrated.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 3:38 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

The libraries would not be merged. When you first opened the old iPhoto library in Photos, a duplicate library is created in the new Photos format. As Niel said, provided you didn't add any new photos to the old iPhoto library then all of the photos you had will now been the new Photos library.

However, I understand you want to be certain that you are not deleting any old photos. iPhoto will not run on Catalina, do you have an old Mac running a version of OS X pre Yosemite? You can try opening the iPhoto library in Photos but you will probably get the message that the library has already migrated.

Photos Library and iPhoto Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.