Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lens Flare and Ghosting on Apple IPhone Max Pro

I took my NEW Max Pro out for some night photography and noticed some bad ghosting. Lenses were clean. Clear night. Not what I expect from the "best camera" on a smartphone.

Anyone have a fix for this? Note the floating star above and the duplicate light to the left.

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 1:50 PM

7 replies

Dec 16, 2020 12:29 AM in response to Nan1000

Nan1000 wrote:

If it not related to the digital processing (sensor data fusion, EIS, etc.), how could the following be explained? 1. The ghost image appears to be unstabilized and superimposed over stabilized image. 2. Not like flare, the ghosting can clearly show as a piece of real scene content. 3. both ghosting and flare are not obvious in wide angle mode which is supposed to be more susceptible to flare.

All are examples of a form of lens flare known as ghosting. The wide angle and normal lenses are of slightly different designs, which means are slightly different in terms of susceptibility to reflections.

The image from the Samsung Galaxy S20 I posted above is not due to image processing, nor is this from a Canon DSLR/lens combination:

Or this from a Google Pixel 3XL:

Dec 15, 2020 5:12 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Same symptoms with iPhone pro max. The flare and ghosting don’t look normal by my experience with DSLR and mirrorless cameras. First, the flare and ghosting are apparent only with zoomed view. Then the ghosting seems to be a fragment of the image shifted and unstablized. The problem could be rooted in the digital processing for stabilization and merging of multi-camera data.

Dec 16, 2020 12:18 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

If it not related to the digital processing (sensor data fusion, EIS, etc.), how could the following be explained? 1. The ghost image appears to be unstabilized and superimposed over stabilized image. 2. Not like flare, the ghosting can clearly show as a piece of real scene content. 3. both ghosting and flare are not obvious in wide angle mode which is supposed to be more susceptible to flare.

Lens Flare and Ghosting on Apple IPhone Max Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.