Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive upgrade

What does Apple charge to upgrade a 256GB drive to a 1T SSD on an iMac 2020?

iMac 27″, 10.15

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 4:19 PM

7 replies

Dec 10, 2020 4:28 PM in response to prthom

We don't know. This is a user to user support forum and we're all end users like yourself. You'll have to call the local Apple store and ask them. Since the screens are glued on it would be considerably less expensive to get an external SSD, clone your system to it with Carbon Copy Cloner and boot an run from it. Use the internal SSD for additional storage. External SSDs that are very good for that type of use are OWC Envoy Pro EX with USB-C. OWC hardware has an excellent reputation for reliability, customer support and warranties.

And, I'm not sure Apple will do that type of work. They're more into warranty and broken item fixing, not upgrades. You'll have to ask them. If you go that way you might have to get an Apple Authorized Apple Service Provider near you to do the work.

Dec 10, 2020 4:28 PM in response to prthom

Apple does not perform upgrades. Perhaps some Apple Authorized Service Providers may offer to upgrade the iMac with a third party drive. While an AASP could in theory purchase an official Apple SSD the price would be so expensive that you may as well buy a new computer. Only a third party SSD will be economical, but whether an AASP will do this is unknown because of the rules Apple puts on the AASP. I've never worked on a 2020 iMac so I don't even know what type of connections are available and whether a third party SSD can even be installed.

It may be cheaper for you to purchase a USB3 or Thunderbolt drive to use for extra storage for the larger files.

Dec 10, 2020 6:25 PM in response to Old Toad

They will not do upgrades. I had a mechanical hard drive go bad on my 2012 iMac and took it into apple and the Apple Genius determined it was a bad hard drive. I asked about what I could do to speed the computer up and he said put in an SSD. I said great how much. He said they only repair/replace what was originally purchased. prthom, I would recommend what Old Toad suggests. Buy an external SSD drive and boot from it.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Hard drive upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.