Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I stop move to ios and start over

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 3:34 PM

For anyone else that stumbled across this looking for a solution...

You probably want to start the process over, because like me, you quickly realized it's taking forever to transfer. I had over 60 GB under Google's Photo & Video stored locally, and I mistakenly left that selected. I found out while waiting that the fastest this process will work is about 5 GB per hour, which would take the transfer at least 12 hrs to complete.

No thanks. Here's how you can go back and unselect Photos (you can manually transfer those over later).

1. On the Android device, swipe the "Move to iOS" app closed. Uninstall the app.
  2. On the iPhone, it will tell you the transfer was interrupted. Hold the power button down and choose the option to reset the iPhone and start over.
  3. Reinstall "Move to iOS" on the Android device and launch it.
  4. After the iPhone resets, you can step through the setup wizard with a fresh start. I chose to only transfer messages, contacts, and my Google account.

The size was 4 GB this time, and the transfer completed in about an hour.

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2021 3:34 PM in response to cmgtag

For anyone else that stumbled across this looking for a solution...

You probably want to start the process over, because like me, you quickly realized it's taking forever to transfer. I had over 60 GB under Google's Photo & Video stored locally, and I mistakenly left that selected. I found out while waiting that the fastest this process will work is about 5 GB per hour, which would take the transfer at least 12 hrs to complete.

No thanks. Here's how you can go back and unselect Photos (you can manually transfer those over later).

1. On the Android device, swipe the "Move to iOS" app closed. Uninstall the app.
  2. On the iPhone, it will tell you the transfer was interrupted. Hold the power button down and choose the option to reset the iPhone and start over.
  3. Reinstall "Move to iOS" on the Android device and launch it.
  4. After the iPhone resets, you can step through the setup wizard with a fresh start. I chose to only transfer messages, contacts, and my Google account.

The size was 4 GB this time, and the transfer completed in about an hour.

Cheers!

Dec 15, 2020 6:29 AM in response to cmgtag

Hello cmgtag,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that you would like to stop the Move to iOS process and start over. One the process is complete, you can erase the iPhone you are moving the data to and start the Move to iOS process over again.

How to erase your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Switch to iPhone with the Move to iOS App - Apple

Best Regards.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.