Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini 2020 drops hdmi video connection (intel chip)

I just bought a mini 2020intel to replace my 2011 mini. It is fast, but at least 1x a day or overnight the video feed fails until I do a hard reset. Then it loses the adjustment I have to make to the display to make the image fit the screen. The monitor is a bit long in the tooth, 2014 or so but I never had this problem with the older mini. I am using hdmi connection on both mini and monitor. Previously used digital connection mini to monitor. The hard reset results in unsaved work when this occurs in the middle of the day, which it does about once a week.

Any thoughts thanks.

Mac mini, OS X 10.11

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 8:27 PM

KathleenH Said:

"Mac mini 2020 drops hdmi video connection (intel chip): I just bought a mini 2020intel to replace my 2011 mini. It is fast, but at least 1x a day or overnight the video feed fails until I do a hard reset.[...]"

-------

Have you installed any updates? If so...

Try Resetting the SMC and your NVRAM:

This is a new device. So, have you installed any software since booting up, and setting it up? Sometimes when changes are made to the system(updates), system configurations (i.e. for HDMI Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. It might take upto 3 attempts to reset each. So, be certain you have the time to so do.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 8:27 PM in response to KathleenH

KathleenH Said:

"Mac mini 2020 drops hdmi video connection (intel chip): I just bought a mini 2020intel to replace my 2011 mini. It is fast, but at least 1x a day or overnight the video feed fails until I do a hard reset.[...]"

-------

Have you installed any updates? If so...

Try Resetting the SMC and your NVRAM:

This is a new device. So, have you installed any software since booting up, and setting it up? Sometimes when changes are made to the system(updates), system configurations (i.e. for HDMI Ports) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. It might take upto 3 attempts to reset each. So, be certain you have the time to so do.

Dec 11, 2020 8:57 AM in response to FJL1979

FJL1979 Said:

“I have updated Catalina but not to Big Sur. I will try the resets when there is some time. Thank you.”

———-

You are welcome.

Note: Nothing is Deleted nor Reinstalled:

When Resetting these, nothing gets deleted, it’s this that items are self-evaluated and fixed (if need-be) by the system to get itself going again.

So, rather than wait, I would consider performing the resets today, or as soon as you can.

Mac mini 2020 drops hdmi video connection (intel chip)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.