Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro max Camera Lens Tiny Hairline Scratches

I would like to know if an iPhone 12 pro max was unboxed came with tiny hairline scratches on the Pacific Blue iPhone 12 pro max camera lens on the ultra wide and the glass surrounding it is this normal though it is very barely visible unless wiped with a wet microfiber cloth and disappears when it’s dry should I worry about a tiny scratch on the camera lens though there is no protection available though I do have a screen protector and case no scratches so far on my screen or the stainless steel but just concern only the camera lens with that tiny scratch came with it. I would wish to show the proof of the scratch on here but unfortunately I couldn’t take the photo because of the camera on the iPad I use is not very focused and won’t be visible in the photo despite it is very invisible type of scratch that came along with it when I first got the device. I would like more information about this though it’s not that I am getting it exchange because it doesn’t affect any photo quality it’s just I’m curious because I feel like I’m the only one who has this scratch out of the box only on the camera lens and that is concerning because there is no store that would provide a protection for the camera lens. Though I do know only online retails like Amazon would sell them. Should I worry about the scratch that came with it on the camera lens I am very careful with devices so I am looking for more information about this. Thank you.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2021 11:34 AM

Unless you found it at time of sale (While your still at the store you bought it from) your prob screwed. My new Ipad, I noticed had a small hairline fracture in the screen corner. I took it to the Apple Store where I was told, since I had no proof that I didnt do it (How would you prove that?), my only option was to buy a new one, since they claim they cant repair a ipad screen.

Funny, they used to say that about IPhone, until they were sued. Anyhow, most likely they will make you pay for the full repair unless you bought AppleCare.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2021 11:34 AM in response to Jnguye998

Unless you found it at time of sale (While your still at the store you bought it from) your prob screwed. My new Ipad, I noticed had a small hairline fracture in the screen corner. I took it to the Apple Store where I was told, since I had no proof that I didnt do it (How would you prove that?), my only option was to buy a new one, since they claim they cant repair a ipad screen.

Funny, they used to say that about IPhone, until they were sued. Anyhow, most likely they will make you pay for the full repair unless you bought AppleCare.

Jan 9, 2021 8:13 PM in response to SalPitera

oh hey, yeah i definitely have apple care i no longer worry about it I was just curious of asking if anyone really has the same issue because it’s odd to find a tiny invisible scratch on the camera lens and thought I was the only one who has it but it’s not like I’m too worried about it. It works perfectly fine. But I really appreciate for your response. Thank you.

Jan 13, 2021 12:40 PM in response to Jnguye998

Made an account to reply that I have this issue too! It seemingly disappears when wiping it down but constantly smudges. The same ultra wide lens too. The first few times I was like...why does that keep happening until today when I wiped it with an alcohol pad and the scratch became very apparent. Unfortunately since the lens was clean when I got it out of the box, I didn’t even become aware of it until a week or so in.

Jan 13, 2021 2:21 PM in response to islandpapaya

Oh wow it’s crazy how it’s such an expensive device just to have a scratch on the camera out of no where when it’s really brand new out of the box and I was very careful with it. Sadly the only way for me to get protection for the camera is to purchase the camera lens protector through Amazon or third party stores like Wish, EBay, and AliExpress but in a phone store they just dont have them I wished they were to have them. At first I got bothered by it when I first got my phone but then days later I got used to it though I felt like it’s not worth for me to get it exchange because it’s not like it’s visible or it affecting the photo quality but everything else like the screen or the stainless steel is fine. But I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who has this issue. I really do appreciate for sharing your response. Thank you.

Jan 13, 2021 2:45 PM in response to Jnguye998

Seriously!! And funny thing the first phone that was opened up (in store) - had a scratch on its screen. Like brand new, straight from the box (I did ask for another one). So now I'm not even surprised this happened. Absolutely upset that this super expensive phone came out like this but it is what it is at this point :( I hope other people who have this issue speak up about it too. And I agree, I know the apple store probably won't believe that it was like this from the start, I also don't have the time or energy to argue it out. I don't believe my photo quality is affected either, but I'm gonna test it out again this weekend now that I've confirmed its actually a scratch. But I do feel better knowing it wasn't just mine either so thanks for posting about it.

Jan 13, 2021 3:46 PM in response to SalPitera

Not really addressing the original post issue but I had an iPad Pro that I got my mom for Christmas. Bought it back in November during the sales (from Best Buy). Mom opened it Christmas morning and the entire screen was shattered. Thankfully I didn’t have any issues getting it exchanged despite purchasing it almost a month earlier. Maybe I lucked up with it being Best Buy and not Apple directly but honestly I would have been prepared to fight the issue had it been otherwise.

iPhone 12 Pro max Camera Lens Tiny Hairline Scratches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.