Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Compatibility Issue? External Drive is Unreadable / Causes Hard Crashes

I have an external Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD formatted with the exFAT file system that I've tried using on my new M1 MacBook Pro w/ 16 GB RAM and two other computers, a 2019 iMac and a PC workstation. Here are my results:

M1 MacBook Pro w/ OWC Envoy Express Thunderbolt 3 Enclosure & 8TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD >> HARD CRASHES, FAILURE TO BOOT WHILE PLUGGED IN

M1 MacBook Pro w/ Plugable USB-C Enclosure and Sabrent Rocket M.2 8TB SSD >> Error message, Drive unreadable, option to initialize yields a screen showing a SSD with 97 TB of space, unable to format.

2019 iMac w/ 8-core i9 & Plugable USB-C Enclosure w/ Sabrent Rocket 8TB M.2 SSD, works as expected, drive benchmarked at 900 MB/s.

PC workstation w/ Thunderbolt 3 expansion card, Plugable USB-C Enclosure w/ Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD >> Drive works as expected, benchmarked at 900 MB/s via USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 connections.

PC workstation with Sabrent Rocket M.2 SSD installed directly onto ASROCK Taichi x570 motherboard >> drive works as expected, benchmarked at 2.7 GB/s.

PC workstation with OWC Envoy Express TB3 Enclosure and Sabrent Rocket 8TB M.2 SSD >> Device does not appear when connected to my TB3 expansion card. Expansion ports appear in device manager and have been tested with a successful TB3 connection to a QNAP server.

In summary, the M.2 SSD fails to connect to my M1 MacBook Pro with either a USB-C or TB3 enclosure using properly rated cables (and the OWC has a built-in TB3 cable). The Drive is tested perfectly on a 2019 iMac and PC with the USB-C enclosure, but fails to appear on my PC workstation via the TB3 enclosure. The TB3 enclosure is not tested on the iMac (it's far away at my friend's house and I forgot to bring the enclosure with me).

I really just need to get this drive working on my new M1 MacBook Pro so that I can edit PRORES video on location. That's mainly the only reason I bought this Mac.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 4:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 5:15 AM

Thanks for replying. I had forgotten to close out this forum with... ta da! The correct answer!

Sabrent eventually suggested that I use one of their TB3 enclosures for the M.2. I tried their own design, which was really really nice, and it works great for the 8TB model. I also tested the Sabrent waterproof USB-C enclosure for the 8TB model, and it did NOT work, despite the fact that the specs on that enclosure suggest full compatibility.

I am left to conclude, based on my argument with Sabrent tech support, that the 8TB drive actually has slightly different power requirements from the M.2 specification, and that most enclosures are not compatible with that particular drive. When I used Sabrent's own design for the TB3 enclosure, it is great--my favorite drive. I wish that their tech support had suggested that first, since using their enclosure is a $80 solution for a very expensive SSD.

Bottom line: the OWC and Sabrent enclosures both work fine for all SSDs I tested under 8TB, and only the Sabrent TB3 enclosure works with the Sabrent Rocket 8TB M.2 SSD.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone who took the time to say something, and thanks to the folks at the Apple Store who let me test these enclosures on some of their Genius Bar laptops!

Similar questions

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 5:15 AM in response to IronFather

Thanks for replying. I had forgotten to close out this forum with... ta da! The correct answer!

Sabrent eventually suggested that I use one of their TB3 enclosures for the M.2. I tried their own design, which was really really nice, and it works great for the 8TB model. I also tested the Sabrent waterproof USB-C enclosure for the 8TB model, and it did NOT work, despite the fact that the specs on that enclosure suggest full compatibility.

I am left to conclude, based on my argument with Sabrent tech support, that the 8TB drive actually has slightly different power requirements from the M.2 specification, and that most enclosures are not compatible with that particular drive. When I used Sabrent's own design for the TB3 enclosure, it is great--my favorite drive. I wish that their tech support had suggested that first, since using their enclosure is a $80 solution for a very expensive SSD.

Bottom line: the OWC and Sabrent enclosures both work fine for all SSDs I tested under 8TB, and only the Sabrent TB3 enclosure works with the Sabrent Rocket 8TB M.2 SSD.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone who took the time to say something, and thanks to the folks at the Apple Store who let me test these enclosures on some of their Genius Bar laptops!

Dec 11, 2020 4:48 AM in response to m010726

m010726 wrote:

I really just need to get this drive working on my new M1 MacBook Pro so that I can edit PRORES video on location. That's mainly the only reason I bought this Mac.

So why take a chance with a brand new architecture? What you describe has happened, almost verbatim, with every new Mac over the past 20 years. It will take a couple of years for 3rd party vendors to develop compatible equipment.

Dec 11, 2020 4:56 AM in response to etresoft

That's not a productive response. Both Apple and the 3rd Party manufacturers claim TB3 compatibility, and as I mentioned the drive also fails to read properly with a USB-C enclosure. Neither USB-C nor TB3 are new 'architecture', and I'm fairly confident that Apple tested M1 for both. If you have information about how this case may have slipped through the cracks or what I may have missed in my troubleshooting, then please be useful and provide it.

Dec 11, 2020 6:32 AM in response to m010726

m010726 wrote:

That's not a productive response. Both Apple and the 3rd Party manufacturers claim TB3 compatibility, and as I mentioned the drive also fails to read properly with a USB-C enclosure. Neither USB-C nor TB3 are new 'architecture', and I'm fairly confident that Apple tested M1 for both. If you have information about how this case may have slipped through the cracks or what I may have missed in my troubleshooting, then please be useful and provide it.

What sort of “information” could I possibly have other than 30 years of buying Macintosh computers? Maybe I’ll just put the question back to you. What information do you have from either Apple or Sabrent guaranteeing compatibility with the other company’s products, especially via multiple 3rd party enclosures from yet another set of companies?

You said you purchased this computer to “edit PRORES video on location”. That sounds an awful lot like a work task, not a consumer task. You are well on your way to collecting your own years of experience balancing technological changes with conflicting business requirements. Sometimes those lessons hurt.

What do you expect me to tell you? “Oh, here’s the magic M1 kernel boot arguments to enable that device!” Those kinds of things only happen on the internet and are totally fake. You could try buying an OWC card to use with the enclosure. Such a configuration would be more likely to work. And if it didn’t, OWC would be more understanding and more interested to fix it. They couldn’t fix the devices you had purchased, of course. I mean they would be willing to consider fixing it for new customers by late 2021. Sabrent couldn’t care less about it. Apple would be happy to get your bug report. People who buy new M1 Macs in early 2022 would probably enjoy greater compatibility then. You could buy devices from major manufacturers like Samsung. I don’t think the T7 comes any larger than 2 TB, but there is a good chance that Apple actually tested with that.

There. Is that a more “productive” response? I don’t think so. Internet tech support forums are poor venues for problems that can only be solved by going back in time and making a different choice.

Dec 11, 2020 7:56 AM in response to etresoft

I've been using Macs and PCs for decades as well, but that doesn't make me right about anything.

If anyone else has had similar situations with the M1 Macs crashing on TB3 connections or failure to read USB-C external drives, then please share your experience so that we can figure this out together.

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 11, 2020 7:52 AM in response to m010726

m010726 wrote:

I've been using Macs and PCs for decades as well, but that doesn't make me right about anything.

Your response is not welcome because you're not offering any information relevant to this case or my troubleshooting method. Your comments about alternative untested hardware solutions and future compatibility are pure conjecture.

Please refrain from commenting further.

If anyone else has had similar situations with the M1 Macs crashing on TB3 connections or failure to read USB-C external drives, then please share your experience so that we can figure this out together.

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Dec 12, 2020 4:18 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Yes, I have contacted OWC, but I appreciate your suggestion which is nevertheless useful. OWC issued me an RMA, and I might send the OWC Envoy Express back, but that would not explain why the same SSD works fine using the 'Plugable' brand USB-C enclosure (different from the OWC!) on an earlier Mac and PC, but fails to be recognized on the M1. In the M1, the drive brings up a dialog box for initializing it, and when I attempt that, the drive appears as a 97.8 TB SSD and fails to initialize. That suggests a compatibility issue between the M.2 SSD and the M1 Mac, not an issue with the OWC. I have an appointment with a Genius Bar person tomorrow, where we can hopefully test these enclosures on a few more Macs to gather data. Thanks for the

Dec 12, 2020 4:22 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you, Mr. Douglas. I contacted AppleCare support last week and I'm still waiting for a call back. I scheduled an appointment at a Genius Bar so that we can test the same drives on different generations of Macs and see if it's a compatibility issue or a defective drive or enclosure. I suspect that it's an issue with compatibility between the SSD and the M1 Macs, and that the issued I had with the drive not appearing on my PC via the TB3 enclosure was a red herring from a separate issue.

Dec 12, 2020 4:26 AM in response to m010726

There are all sorts of issues, usually involving timing, that could be at play here.

Regardless, since it's their interface and they claim it's fully compatible, it's OWC's issue to solve as you should be able to connect any compliant device to their interface to have it talk to your M1.

If it really is the SSD, I'm sure OWC would love to know that as well.

M1 Compatibility Issue? External Drive is Unreadable / Causes Hard Crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.