Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen is being observed

Hello! I updated my MacBook air 13 to Big Sur and today I got message "Screen is being observed". It was on the login screen. I don't have any permission for screen recording. I have not hooked my MacBook to any external monitor or shared screens with any software. What does this message mean?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2021 8:17 PM

Hello everyone. I noticed having Adobe Photoshop open, even when screen recording is unchecked in privacy, it still gives me the message. When I quit the app the message disappears from my Lock Screen. Hope this helps someone!

25 replies

Jul 15, 2021 8:45 PM in response to Sonya2811

I have this same issue...a new MAC with Big Sur OS, and it shows this message each time I reboot/start up the computer after it sleeps. I checked as suggested and there are no apps listed, so nothing with any permission to record. Did you find any more advice about what else to check? Clearly, it is worrisome to be warned that I am being observed! What to do????

Mar 22, 2021 3:24 PM in response to Sonya2811

I was able to resolve this on macOS Big Sur by going into:

1. System Preferences (grey gear icon) >
  2. Security & Privacy (grey home icon, probably on the right.) >
  3. Privacy (probably rightmost tab) >
  4. Screen Recording (scroll left column down to red/orange icon) >
  5. unlock (gold padlock, lower left) >
  6. unchecked Google Chrome >
  7. allowed it to restart Chrome when the prompt popped up

To prevent problems in the future, when I do actually want to do a video chat or whatever, I then rechecked Google Chrome and allowed it to restart again.

[Note that you can also search for "Privacy" with the search field in the upper right of the system preferences window to get to that privacy tab but you cannot simply search "Screen Recording"]

Feb 24, 2021 4:27 PM in response to mspallone

Several sessions with Apple Support didn't help me. I solved this issue by performing a fresh install of Big Sur and then loading only my personal, not system, files from TimeMachine. Not the easiest solution since I had to import email and one other dataset, forgot which, manually. This was also necessary since there was a disconnect between my AppleID and iCloud and Music.

Jun 21, 2021 12:28 PM in response to Sonya2811

Had a co-worker with the same problem. In Applications -> Utilities there is an application named Screenshot. She was trying to do a screenshot with that and instead started recording her screen. Poking around I noticed an icon in the menu bar I didn't recognize. I clicked it and a window came up with a screen recording in it and then a new file was created on the desktop ... she'd been recording her screen the entire time and the result was a 8+ GB video. 

I tried it ... did the screen record then locked my screen ... that message was on my log in screen as well.

Screen is being observed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.