Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone was stolen and they immediately turned off find my iphone. How do I erase my phone?

My phone was stolen on Tuesday. When I arrived home I had 3 emails (from email addresses that were 100% genuine apple ones, I checked!), two saying my apple id password had been changed and one saying Find my iphone had been turned off. I never clicked on any of the links in the emails just to be safe, but tried to get into my icloud by googling the page. I had received those emails no more than 5 minutes after I was robbed, but couldn't see them until I got on my Macbook at home. I believe they were able to get my passcode by following me, as with a mask on I couldn't use face ID. But how did they manage to get into my apple ID?!

Anyway, I now have a new phone and finally I am able to access my icloud, however the stolen phone is still showing up there. How do I know if they erased all the data from it, so I can feel safe that they don't have access to all my info?

I can't erase my phone because it isn't showing up on Find my iphone due to the thieves turning it off.

Oh last thing, I know they didn't do anything with my bank details, instagram and facebook accounts etc. because I have checked them every day since it was stolen. So I assume they just logged in, turned off my find my iphone, changed my password and wiped the phone.

But I want to be sure and have no idea how to do that!

iPhone 11, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 2:40 PM

bethanrhiannonx wrote:
But how did they manage to get into my apple ID?!

Not sure how they were able to get into your ID. Did you have a simple password? Was two-factor authentication enabled?

Anyway, I now have a new phone and finally I am able to access my icloud, however the stolen phone is still showing up there. How do I know if they erased all the data from it, so I can feel safe that they don't have access to all my info?

Did you mark the device as lost or did you erase it - If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support? If your Find My is turned off, I'm not sure how you're still able to see it on your device's list.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 2:40 PM in response to bethanrhiannonx

bethanrhiannonx wrote:
But how did they manage to get into my apple ID?!

Not sure how they were able to get into your ID. Did you have a simple password? Was two-factor authentication enabled?

Did you mark the device as lost or did you erase it - If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen - Apple Support? If your Find My is turned off, I'm not sure how you're still able to see it on your device's list.

My phone was stolen and they immediately turned off find my iphone. How do I erase my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.