Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring Data to new Mac

Just got my new Mac Pro 2020 and used Time Machine to transfer all my data. It didn't transfer any of my passwords for Safari and did not restore my Mail or any other preferences. I'm sure there is an easy answer, I just don't know it.

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 7:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 12:39 PM

Thanks Grant for responding. Before I saw your post I ended up calling Apple and they helped straighten everything out. Not quite sure how to explain what happened but it seems that all my Mail info did migrate but was invisible in a hidden Library file. As to my passwords, that had something to do with the Key Chain program. Apologies to those also interested in how this went for not explaining this in a more precise way. My tech ability only goes so far. I'm sure if I had taken the route that you had suggested that things would have had a gone a whole lot smoother.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 12:39 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant for responding. Before I saw your post I ended up calling Apple and they helped straighten everything out. Not quite sure how to explain what happened but it seems that all my Mail info did migrate but was invisible in a hidden Library file. As to my passwords, that had something to do with the Key Chain program. Apologies to those also interested in how this went for not explaining this in a more precise way. My tech ability only goes so far. I'm sure if I had taken the route that you had suggested that things would have had a gone a whole lot smoother.

Dec 12, 2020 7:13 AM in response to rbtroubles

You were supposed to use Setup Assistant at first run to copy your entire old User-id over. Second choice is Migration Assistant, but it will put your stuff in a separate user-id.

If you used Time machine.app manually, you may have not copied the stuff from your

~/Library directory [where ~ is active shorthand for "current User"]. That is where keychains and emails are stored.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Dec 15, 2020 11:01 AM in response to rbtroubles

It's actually a box you need to check in settings >

System Preferences > Apple ID > iCloud > "Apps on this Mac using iCloud: "

(under your icon/email/overview/name/pass/payment/

iCloud on the left panel in the Apple Id icon you click on in the top right next to family sharing.)

Scroll down and verify these are checked:

[ ] Keychain <-----------------------CHECK THIS BOX***** Enjoy your digital life again :)

[ ] Find My Mac <------------- You are setting it up, so arguably you already found it... but I digress.

So... Enable these, log in with your password, it may not function until logging in and out - some message or error might be there if logging in for the first time and not getting the authentication verified upon initialization, but this was the place to look in Big Sur for restoring saved passwords and logins, payment and card info and I looked everywhere but here to find it.

Seems like it would be in Security and Privacy, or in Safari under saved passwords - that would link you to here... and remind you to turn on find my mac.. but it doesn't - and apple support was decently helpful during business hours to identify this.

Again, my two cents, hope it helps someone out there in a similar boat/bind/quandry/ digital abyss.

Stay safe out there during these dark times!

Restoring Data to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.