Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

/dev folder not showing up in Finder

I have this system folder called /dev. My best guess is it's interfaces with hardware and hardware-to-software connections. I can list, cd, and even figure out the file type of the folder and files inside of it. I cannot concatenate (with cat or less) or GetFileInfo. However, when I try to open the folder in Finder, it shows either my currently open window or no window, and when I try to open files inside I get a "Doesn't exist", "Permission Denied", "No Editor" or another error, depending on which app I try to open the file with. But I know it exists because Terminal can find it. How can I open this folder in Finder or open the files inside of it with other apps? Here is a screenshot of me attempting to read a file in /dev with less:

and opening with TextEdit:

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 5:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 5:44 AM

Should even be accessing it?

Similar questions

12 replies

Dec 14, 2020 3:42 PM in response to HWTech

I DO know what I'm doing. I know MacOS inside and out, and I know what's safe and what Isn't. Seriously. I know coding and Terminal and explore files a lot. Basically, I deffinetley know what i'm doing. And I really don't need or use my Home Folder (I store everything in my iCloud drive-long story). I'm not a regular user and I know the system very well.

Dec 15, 2020 4:59 PM in response to Nicholascronan

No insult was intended, it is just that many users decide to have a look around without knowing anything about the inner workings of macOS so they end up getting into trouble when they don't read up on these things first.

I hope you have some sort of backup for the data you have stored in the cloud since iCloud is not a replacement for a dedicated backup. Any data stored in iCloud needs to have a backup in case you accidentally delete an important file or you accidentally make an unwanted change to a file.

/dev folder not showing up in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.