Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Photos Library and iCloud Photos Syncing

I keep my main system photo library with iCloud Photos activated on an external 2TB SSD since my 256 GB HDD in my MacBook Pro is too small. I want to keep originals downloaded.

I want to move my main system library back to the internal drive so I'm not constantly connecting the SSD and then use external drives as long term storage, so obviously I need to reduce the size of the library on the external drive.

My plan is to get the main library on the external drive down to size and then let it sync with iCloud so they both match. When I move the library to the internal drive, is there a way to make this the main library with iCloud photos turned on WITHOUT it having to re-sync everything? Or is that the only way to do it?

Any other suggestions?

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 11:11 AM

If the iCloud library is pruned down to what you want on your MBP the quicker way to "move" the library to your internal SSD would be to create a new, empty library in the Pictures folder, designate it the System Photo Library and enable iCloud Photo Library. You can enable Optmize Mac storage or not as you see fit.

This will download all of the photos from the iCloud library to the new library. It's faster than the re-syncing as there's no comparison being down.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 11:11 AM in response to windows85hater

If the iCloud library is pruned down to what you want on your MBP the quicker way to "move" the library to your internal SSD would be to create a new, empty library in the Pictures folder, designate it the System Photo Library and enable iCloud Photo Library. You can enable Optmize Mac storage or not as you see fit.

This will download all of the photos from the iCloud library to the new library. It's faster than the re-syncing as there's no comparison being down.

Move Photos Library and iCloud Photos Syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.