Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving my 'system photo library' back to my hard drive on MacBook Air

In order to free up space on my hard drive, I moved my photos library to an external hard drive. Since then, I have replaced my hard drive with a more powerful one and would now like to just use the external hard drive for back ups. I want my 'system photo library' now to be on my MacBook Air again. Can any one help?

I would also like icloud to NOT save them as it's using all my space on the cloud. Hence my wanting to use my hard drive as my main store for the photos.

Appreciate your advice.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Aug 2, 2022 7:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2022 9:38 AM

Hi

Drag it back to your pictures folder.

Open it. Open preferences general tab and click "use as system photos library" and in preferences icloud tab uncheck icloud.

If you are not using iCloud - even more important to have a regular backup strategy. Set up something that will work automatically so you don't have to remember (such as time machine)

Done.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Soose101

Hi

Drag it back to your pictures folder.

Open it. Open preferences general tab and click "use as system photos library" and in preferences icloud tab uncheck icloud.

If you are not using iCloud - even more important to have a regular backup strategy. Set up something that will work automatically so you don't have to remember (such as time machine)

Done.

Moving my 'system photo library' back to my hard drive on MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.