Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5k runs so SLOW! Apps run faster on iPad mini and iPhone

Hi, Any advice would be much appreciated. I have had Macs for years and love them. This one, not so much. Everything runs slow... apps to the web, even excel takes forever to load.

I just updated the op sys to Big Sur. I notice no change.

I ran this etrcheck tool and attached the report. I'll appreciate any tips anyone can offer.

I have had this machine in to Best Buys support for assistance to no avail. They say its clean. I have a back up drive. I am at a loss. This was big investment and have given me nothing but heartache. Makes me disappointed. I have always loved my mac.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 8:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 11:20 AM

kals1gal wrote:

I ran this etrcheck tool and attached the report. I'll appreciate any tips anyone can offer.

the etrecheck report did not show up here. if you'd like us to look at it, please copy the report again and paste it into the window using the additional text button below.

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 14, 2020 9:23 PM in response to kals1gal

Well, several things stand out:

1. you only have a minimal 8 GB RAM
  2. you have a fusion drive which means you have a small SSD and a very large, but 7200 rpm spinning (and therefore slower than an SSD) hard drive
  3. you installed CleanmyMac. Uninstall. Worthless, unnecessary, and may cause havoc with your system.
  4. you have webroot. Why? See #3.

FYI, starting with Catalina, your OS and system files are "sequestered" on a separate, read only, not accessible by you or anyone or anything else making any cleaning or AV software utterly irrelevant. Also, I am not familiar with webroot, but I would guess that it may not be compatible with the security processes of Big Sur. In any case, either or both of these can cause havoc on your system including slowdowns. So, I would suggest you uninstall both according to their uninstall instructions and then see how things are running. You can also add more RAM by going to OWC (macsales.com) for additional RAM including install videos.

You can also remove/delete all items in your Login items - not necessary; apps will launch when necessary.

Try these suggestions and see if things are running better.

iMac 5k runs so SLOW! Apps run faster on iPad mini and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.