Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Application photo is empty

It looks like Photo application after updating Mac to BigSur was empty. I can't find my pictures. Anyone can help? Thank you

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 7:11 AM

Hi, All my pictures were in Application Photo.

Photos is saving the photos in a Photos Library, not in the application itself. This library is usually in your Pictures folder.

If it is not in the Pictures library, search systematically for an item with the filename extension .photoslibrary, for example Photos Library.photoslibrary. The icon of the library is showing a fan of three pictures with the rainbow coulored flower.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 7:11 AM in response to Randini66

Hi, All my pictures were in Application Photo.

Photos is saving the photos in a Photos Library, not in the application itself. This library is usually in your Pictures folder.

If it is not in the Pictures library, search systematically for an item with the filename extension .photoslibrary, for example Photos Library.photoslibrary. The icon of the library is showing a fan of three pictures with the rainbow coulored flower.

Dec 13, 2020 12:23 AM in response to Randini66

Where have you been keeping your Photos Library on your Mac? In the Pictures folder or on an external volume?

If the library has been on an external volume, make sure the volume is plugged into your Mac. The external volume needs to be compatible with Photos as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Once you have found the library and ensured it is on a compatible volume, quit Photos, if it is running, then double click the library to open it in Photos.

Application photo is empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.