Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My globe button doesn't change input source

Hey Apple community.

Just got my first Mac. It is a MacBook Air M1. It is so nice.

I have only a nuisance problem with the fn globe button. When I want to switch input source and switch typing into a different language, most often it doesn't work. Using it as an FN key with the function keys works. I can also switch with control + option + space. If I reboot, I can reuse the FN Globe button, until it stops switching.

I am using the default settings for the keyboard shortcuts and the keyboard has US International English layout. Is there a problem or bug with MacOs BigSur that stops switching input languages at the press of this button or have I pressed any key combinations that disabled this cool functionality?

Any suggestions or ideas?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 2:33 AM

I experienced the same bug for a couple of times now. But I also just discovered that you don't need to reboot to "reset the bug". Simply enable "Select the previous input source" (default to control+space), activate it, and then disable it. The activation from control+space somehow resets the bug for me.

21 replies

Apr 7, 2021 10:15 AM in response to Apple_Love_888

Apple_Love_888 wrote:

It's quite annoying and it does slow down the busy workflow as we all have to constanly back and forth fixing this issue in order to continue our work.

Be sure to tell Apple they need to fix this via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

In the meantime, you might want stay with the traditional Control Space keyboard changing shortcut, which should always work. This is what all Mac's used for many years before October 2020 when MacOS Big Sur added the Fn/Globe key feature, which clearly is not quite ready for prime time.

Feb 22, 2021 8:33 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks, I submitted a bug report to them.

I was able to resolve it by activating both shortcuts _and_ using them to switch input source, then while still having them turned on using the "Globe" button started to work again and I could switch off those standard shortcuts again. It's pretty annoying still but would do it for now until it's fixed. Thanks for your help!

Apr 7, 2021 10:04 AM in response to alienTHRYLOS

I purhcased M1 Macbook air with top specs a few months ago, and everything is so nice and smooth and I am loving it every single moment except that I am having this exact same issue as well. I constantly writing in multiple languanges and after all these months of usages, I can confirm that this bug happens randomly in different apps and especally more freqeuntly when using Chrome. It's quite annoying and it does slow down the busy workflow as we all have to constanly back and forth fixing this issue in order to continue our work. Currently, we have about 5 new M1 macbook air in our work team and it happnes to every single one of the macbooks........

My globe button doesn't change input source

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.