Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo storage size vs downloaded 'icloud photos' size

iCloud is reporting I have used 34Gb for the storage of near 4500 photos, though if I download them via the web interface (in 5 files "iCloud Photos.zip" files (a 1000 at a time) to my PC, the total of the 5 extracted downloads totals 9.3Gb, which also is what my iphone (8plus 256Gb) shows - optimization is turned off.

Under media types 1 video (2.8mb), 18 live photos and 30 screen shots are listed.

Somewhat confused as to the near 400% difference, anyone any idea why this might be the case?

many thanks in advance.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 6:42 AM

Solved it.

Turns out that even though it is documented iCloud will download the images in original form - it doesn't.

In iOS under Settings > Photos at the bottom is Transfer to Mac / PC - setting this to Keep Originals rather than Automatic - enables all the photos shot using TIF rather than JPG to be accessed. So hence where 40Gb is used.

Why I would expect to have to set this on my phone when logged into the iCloud web interface I don't know. The files are in iCloud in their original format... (...well I couldn't find a setting on the web interface)

Apple "we keep it clean and simple" so we have decided you don't need to know; even though the information is available... but guess this way the less you understand how it works the more money rolls in via iCloud storage upgrades.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 6:42 AM in response to AbeFroman86

Solved it.

Turns out that even though it is documented iCloud will download the images in original form - it doesn't.

In iOS under Settings > Photos at the bottom is Transfer to Mac / PC - setting this to Keep Originals rather than Automatic - enables all the photos shot using TIF rather than JPG to be accessed. So hence where 40Gb is used.

Why I would expect to have to set this on my phone when logged into the iCloud web interface I don't know. The files are in iCloud in their original format... (...well I couldn't find a setting on the web interface)

Apple "we keep it clean and simple" so we have decided you don't need to know; even though the information is available... but guess this way the less you understand how it works the more money rolls in via iCloud storage upgrades.

iCloud photo storage size vs downloaded 'icloud photos' size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.