Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 2020 Dolby Atmos Support

I have a Mac mini M1 connected through HDMI to a DENON AVR X2500H and then to a VIZIO TV.

I can't get Dolby Atmos (using Apple TV app with Dolby Atmos content (Greyhound movie), . Im only getting Dolby Digital Surround.I'm using the same AVR and TV with the same settings and I get Dolby Atmos with Apple TV 4K and a Sony PS5 (same movie, same app).

Can you help me pls.

regards,

Mac mini, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 3:15 PM

Similar questions

24 replies

Dec 16, 2020 1:09 PM in response to Carlos_Castillo_Anaya

Hello Carlos_Castillo_Anaya,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand having issues playing content in Dolby Atmos, and we'd be happy to provide some guidance.

To get started, please check out these helpful links:

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV

Find movies with 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision, or Dolby Atmos in the Apple TV app

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Dec 21, 2020 7:52 PM in response to hcsitas

thank you, I already have an Apple TV 4K (actually I have 3) and yes its true, it works. I Think that Apple TV 4K is the best Streaming Media device in the Market for 4k, HDR Dolby Atmos. But I want Dolby Atmos in my new Mac mini. can you please check this and tell me what do yo think.

https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2019/06/apple-previews-macos-catalina/

1. 1 4K HDR content can be streamed on all Macs introduced in 2018 or later with 4K resolution screens. Dolby Atmos is available on portable Macs introduced in 2018 or later.

are you 100% sure Dolby Atmos is only supported on tvOS?

My specific question is Dolby Atmos supported for Big Sur, Mac mini M1? I know its not a portable MAC, but the setence was for Catalina and we are on Big Sur.

regards,

Dec 28, 2020 4:00 AM in response to hcsitas

More like if you’re a real movie enthusiast you won’t buy anything Apple.

Does the Apple TV support 4K hdr mkv files or do I have to convert them all to mp4? :D

I’m sorry but there is no way to justify this massive oversight from apple.

Whoever came up with the deliberate idea of not supporting Atmos is clearly a blinkered fool.

Can you even change the chroma subsampling and colour bit depth in Mac OS?

no 3D, no Blu-ray, no Dolby Atmos, or I could buy a nuc add a silent Fanless chassis for 40 bucks and put OSX on it anyway for when it’s needed?!?

I know what the real enthusiasts are doing and it’s not buying an Apple TV!

Good luck with the rose tinted glasses you’ve permanently got on.

I’d have loved to be in that meeting when apple decided that Dolby pro logic was what was required as the audio standard for macOS in 2020.

it doesn’t even support lossless Dolby trueHD or DTS-MA.......

“If your a real enthusiast, you’ll go Apple TV,”

I’m still laughing my *** off from that ridiculous comment.

just so you know I’ve owned apple MacBook Pro’s for decades and love their products for work and for my phone and tablet etc.

but at home, being an enthusiast, I’m on PC as it’s the only option for true movie enthusiasts, Apple have made sure of that.

Dec 19, 2020 6:03 PM in response to barberlives123

Thank you, I already did that. I don't have any problems with Apple TV 4K. my problem is on Mac mini M1 2020, Big Sur, using Apple TV app.

im using same content, same AVR, etc. with my Mac mini M1 2020., I can't get Dolby Atmos using Apple TV APP or Netflix using Safari.

do you have any support resources for Big Sur, Safari or Apple TV app over Big Sur. for getting Dolby Atmos to work.

regards,

Dec 22, 2020 1:15 AM in response to rolfbj

The OP has verified it for you.

If you’re wondering if full-blown Atmos will ever be available for Macs, it won’t. In Apple’s world, connoisseur video viewing is for Apple TVs. Big Mac viewing, on the other hand, is for...you guessed it, Macs.

Bottom line: I wouldn’t waste time on it, quite frankly, get the ATV 4K, be happy...

Dec 22, 2020 1:23 AM in response to hcsitas

OP verified that it's not possible through the HDMI port - not sure if that's significant or not, but there's speaker playback noted on all the rest which could indicate that it's not supported over HDMI?

I have the Apple TV 4K and looking forward to trying the AirPods Max with it later, but I was rather curious if the macs would be able to do Atmos with the AirPods Max too.

Dec 22, 2020 1:31 AM in response to rolfbj

It’s significant because all HiFi video viewing is on TVs exclusively through HDMI ports. In fact, TVs with non-HDMI digital video connections don’t exist. Meaning HDMI is King, and if the King can’t do it on Macs, nobody else can.

That said, nothing stops anyone from trying or even posting contradictory results/Amazon links to funny dongles that convert anything to anything. Enjoy...

Dec 22, 2020 1:45 AM in response to hcsitas

Just suggesting that the Mac Mini might not support it over HDMI – and as it doesn't have any speakers to speak of it it would make sense that it's not listed. It's not very clear from the overview at Dolby that the laptops support it over HDMI either while it it's completely reasonable to argue that it should – as you do.

Apologies if my statements and questions are not on the level, but what I'd enjoy is a bit less passive aggression …

Dec 22, 2020 2:31 AM in response to rolfbj

HDMI is a requirement for Dolby Atmos which is why the table doesn’t break it down into port types. The mini doesn’t support Atmos period. Neither does the iMac (which has speakers). The Apple books support it on their integrated speakers (= fake Atmos). The iMac could graduate to fake Atmos in the future but only to push it to horribly expensive Air Pods, Which, because there’s easy money to be made from Apple’s fan base, is a good thing.

BTW, in my book underline-italic is polite emphasis, bold underlining is p-a. Cheers🍻

Dec 27, 2020 3:18 PM in response to Carlos_Castillo_Anaya

Is this a joke? What a deal breaker.

I honestly cannot believe that apple don’t support dolby Atmos bitstreaming.

talk about limiting your customer base.

That’s every home theatre enthusiast buying a NUC instead of a Mac mini.

It was bad enough that Apple didn’t support 3D or Blu-ray, but this is quite frankly ridiculous.

I wanted to buy a Mac mini M1 for a media player/streamer as well as being able to use logic and iPhoto etc.

I was just about to buy one until I checked the Dolby Atmos support.

you lost a sale apple, you lost a lot of sales.

Mac mini M1 2020 Dolby Atmos Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.