Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina keeps switching back to sync by icloud

I want to enable

Back up all the data on your iPhone to this MAc

it keeps reverting after some time to

Back up your most important data on your iPhone to iCloud.

Sometimes you can see it actually switching it back. Seems to have a mind of it own!

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2020 5:41 PM

You have automatic backups enabled on the phone. Go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud - Backup. If it is on the phone will automatically back up to iCloud overnight when the phone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and locked. You can still back up with Finder, but that doesn’t interrupt the automatic backups.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 12, 2020 5:41 PM in response to 2dareis2do

You have automatic backups enabled on the phone. Go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud - Backup. If it is on the phone will automatically back up to iCloud overnight when the phone is plugged in, connected to Wi-Fi and locked. You can still back up with Finder, but that doesn’t interrupt the automatic backups.

Dec 12, 2020 5:58 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

OK. I thought I had had icloud switched off and had thought I had disabled everything apart from game centre. Ok I signed back into icloud and then disabled everything apart from game centre including icloud backup. Now it does not appear to be switching back to icloud which os good. Many thanks for your help.

When I set up my iphone i did it from my old old iphone. What I am seeing is that there are items in the music app (iphone) that are no longer in my music library (macbookpro)? I have tried syncing but the items still remain?

Catalina keeps switching back to sync by icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.