Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second hand apple watch wont pair

my friend gave me his apple watch(series 2) the watch has been factory reset, but now it cannot connect to any iphone, it tells me to update the watch when trying to set it up on a new iphone but it keeps giving me an error message and disconnecting before the update starts. 

The friend that gave me the watch doesn’t own an iphone anymore so i dont now what to do? Is it possible that even that the watch has been factory reset it still has an activation lock preventing it from connecting to other phones?

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 3:57 AM

14 replies

Dec 13, 2020 12:57 PM in response to Community User

I tried holding the side button for 20 seconds like you said but nothing came up, just the regular setup menu, but when i hold the digital crown for a few seconds i get a message asking me if i want to restart the setup. Although i already tried to do it a couple of times and it didnt really help, still cant update the watch and connect to the iphone

Dec 13, 2020 8:52 AM in response to Daniel23a

This is an old problem with watches on lower software versions,try this;

Find a phone with ios12 on it if you can and pair your watch to it,it will ask

you to update the watch select yes,after it has updated unpair the watch

from the ios12 phone and then pair it with your ios13 or 14 phone.Now you can update to a higher WatchOS.

Dec 13, 2020 9:43 AM in response to Daniel23a

You could try this first;

Press and hold both the side button and Digital Crown for about 10 seconds, then release both buttons when you see the Apple logo.Wait a few seconds, then hold down just the side button for about 20 seconds or until the “erase all settings” prompt shows up on the screen, then click it, then click the green check button.

Dec 13, 2020 1:02 PM in response to Daniel23a

That was exactly what was suppose to happen, you tap erase and when its finished you start from scratch again from a clean slate as it were.

Second hand apple watch wont pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.