Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I (we) add an old Apple I.D. to Family Sharing to access purchases?

Here me out...

I know this has been a question ever since iCloud had launched. But lately it's been even more complicated with using/adding Gift Cards with two different accounts.

Right now I have a Media & Purchases login (iTunes) and an iCloud login all while using Family Sharing for our family (as many do).

If I signout of my Media & Purchases account and login with my iCloud account, would I be able to add my previous Media & Purchases account/email to Family Sharing and have access to all the purchases on that account?

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 8:59 AM

As the organizer, you can share whatever purchases were made on the AppleID you used to set up Family sharing and are logged into the Music and App stores with. If you change that AppleID, then you lose access to the things purchased on that, as you’d now be setting up effectively a new family share with that other AppleID. The organizer can only have one AppleID in use with a given family share setup at any one time. Every time the organizer changes AppleID, it’s a new family share.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 8:59 AM in response to vergo

As the organizer, you can share whatever purchases were made on the AppleID you used to set up Family sharing and are logged into the Music and App stores with. If you change that AppleID, then you lose access to the things purchased on that, as you’d now be setting up effectively a new family share with that other AppleID. The organizer can only have one AppleID in use with a given family share setup at any one time. Every time the organizer changes AppleID, it’s a new family share.

Dec 13, 2020 8:40 AM in response to vergo

No. Purchased content cannot be transferred across AppleIDs. If you sign out the current AppleID you will not be able to update or reinstall any of the purchases made on it. You’d have to switch AppleIDs every time there is an app update, or somebody needs to reinstall the apps. And you can only change the AppleID associated with the Music and App Stores once every 90 days.

Dec 13, 2020 8:57 AM in response to Michael Black

Thanks for the quick reply Michael.

But I don't want to transfer as I understand it isn't possible. My thought was to login into Media & Purchases with my iCloud, it should start fresh showing no digital purchases, etc. But what if I add my ”old” iTunes account/email with all my digital purchase subscriptions, etc to Family Sharing - as if it is a new family member. Therefore, being able to share all that accounts purchases?

Can I (we) add an old Apple I.D. to Family Sharing to access purchases?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.