Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add payment = "contacting card issuer" forever.

Hi,

Estonia, Swedbank -s Master Card expired, but I can't add new one. After inserting the card details, notification is shown:

after clicking done, next notification is shown:

and then new window opens and endless message is shown:

No matter what iTunes is used (osx/windows) or iPhone/iPad, the process always ends with "Contacting Card Issuer".

How to fix it?

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 7:12 AM

Discussed with second bank, they are aware of the issue and they are claiming, - "3D-Secure authentication, or three-step verification, works if the merchant has also joined this system. Merchants who have joined the 3DS security system will display a logo on their website with the words "Mastercard SecureCode" and / or "Verified by Visa". If you see the corresponding logos, it means that the merchant has taken more responsibility for his customers and is likely to be required to identify the card.

And according to the - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527 Apple uses it.

So now Apple is requiring from the banks 3D-Secure authentication, but Apple is unable to understand or display to the customers three-step verification request. And as request won't pass the first step (Mastercard verify user screen?), the final request wont reach the bank at all, so that's why bank can't see any requests and that's why local banks don't have any logs.

So this is clearly Apple -s fault and all banks clients are suffering and even more, Apple looses money.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 7:12 AM in response to ksuuk

Discussed with second bank, they are aware of the issue and they are claiming, - "3D-Secure authentication, or three-step verification, works if the merchant has also joined this system. Merchants who have joined the 3DS security system will display a logo on their website with the words "Mastercard SecureCode" and / or "Verified by Visa". If you see the corresponding logos, it means that the merchant has taken more responsibility for his customers and is likely to be required to identify the card.

And according to the - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527 Apple uses it.

So now Apple is requiring from the banks 3D-Secure authentication, but Apple is unable to understand or display to the customers three-step verification request. And as request won't pass the first step (Mastercard verify user screen?), the final request wont reach the bank at all, so that's why bank can't see any requests and that's why local banks don't have any logs.

So this is clearly Apple -s fault and all banks clients are suffering and even more, Apple looses money.

Jan 21, 2021 1:53 PM in response to Dah•veed

well, it's definitely a fault of Apple, if my card works on all 3d secure sites, but when I use it on Apple, the process is as follows:

1- it states that additional verification is needed and I click ok

2 - requests to enter your Apple password (no, it won't be cached, even though I entered it 1 minute ago on that device and no, FaceID is not allowed)

3 - I get transferred to iTunes (what? why?)

4 - I get transferred to a pop-up that loads a financial page on apple.com site

5 - requests to enter your apple ID second time, this time at least I can use FaceID

6 - get transferred to the 2nd page at Apple, refreshed a couple of times and get a pop up which states "contacting card issuer" that loads forever (well, maybe not forever, but I tried waiting 5 minutes). I mean, timeout and tell me what to do, if you think it's a fault of the Bank, for christ's sake..

Who in their sane minds would think that this process is anywhere near good enough for a 2 trillion USD company? Maybe if two students who are not too bright would do this customer journey on their e-shop, you could say - it's ok guys, for a first try, now try to do it better. But the most valuable company in the world? Not being able to do 3DS properly? This is a proper joke!

Those guys here who try to defend this nonsense - you need to go get some fresh air. The issue is at Apple and it's a shame. Steve Jobs would've never allowed it and would've fired whole departments for this. It's not a "gmail icon wrong background color" story, it's a shameful, disgusting, buggy process.

Jan 21, 2021 3:13 PM in response to vladxxx

I don't need to sound smart or professional. I don't work for Apple. I'm an experienced user of Apple products with 15 years of volunteering in these forums of the Apple Support Communities. Apple isn't here. Apple doesn't respond here.

I live in the US, I don't think that what your banking system in the EU has currently will be coming to the Americas any time soon.

As to Apple, I don't feel a need to prove them right. I feel a need to question your misinformation. If the problem was Apple's then it wouldn't have been repairable by the banks.

Since your issue is resolved, I bid you goodbye. I don't need to confront your every misstatement, folks will need to see your illogic on their own from here on.

Ciao, I won't be responding here any further.

Jan 21, 2021 1:02 PM in response to ksuuk

Because Apple submitted to EU law and the banks didn't, it's Apple's fault?!?! What kind of logic is that?

Does every one of the literally millions of POS retailers in the EU have to individually tap every bank's shoulder and tell them that they are subscribing to the law? That's ludicrous!!! The banks should have known the law and been prepared.

Jan 21, 2021 2:48 PM in response to Dah•veed

Adding so many question marks to your text makes you sound smart? Or professional?

Switch off your wasteful negative emotions of having to prove that Apple is always right and switch on your engineering mode, if you have one. I wrote all you need to know in the post above, please understand when you read, it will help you in the future.

Jan 21, 2021 11:41 PM in response to Dah•veed

I'll explain again.

European banks have used 3DS for years. It works with Google, PayPal, all kind of web shops etc. Apple joined the 3DS program lately, but the Apple didn't adapt/developed billing system to support 3DS as requested. Like I said, Apple is requiring from the banks 3DS authentication, but Apple -s billing system/webui is unable to understand or display to the customers three-step verification request and that's why the transaction is denied at first step and does not reach the banks at all. And so Apple -s support encourages customers to contact banks to make an exception for Apple. So banks must adapt their systems and bypass 3DS for Apple.

And that's why this whole mess is Apple -s fault.

Add payment = "contacting card issuer" forever.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.