Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Display Goes Stripey After Login - still works on external monitor

Hello all,

When turning on my Macbook Pro, there are no issues with the display and I can login to my user account. However, as soon as I login, the display goes stripey - predominantly black with a few faded vertical stripes.

I have plugged in an external monitor which works but still nothing on the actual monitor.

Very confused as it is fine upon start-up as previously mentioned!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2020 5:28 PM

when the login screen is drawn or immediately thereafter, the display switch from un-accelerated to accelerated Driver.

Problems at that point are likely to be caused by graphics chip failure.

As a test, try restarting in Safe Mode. Safe mode starts to load, then pauses to do a five-minute disk repair, then finishes loading. But it loads the smallest possible set of Apple-only drivers, and does not load graphics acceleration drivers. Screen update will be wonky and slow as it draws and re-draws the screen, but ultimately should be correct.

If there are no artifacts (once the screen settles down) in Safe mode, the problem is likely with the graphics chip.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2020 5:28 PM in response to Jemrah

when the login screen is drawn or immediately thereafter, the display switch from un-accelerated to accelerated Driver.

Problems at that point are likely to be caused by graphics chip failure.

As a test, try restarting in Safe Mode. Safe mode starts to load, then pauses to do a five-minute disk repair, then finishes loading. But it loads the smallest possible set of Apple-only drivers, and does not load graphics acceleration drivers. Screen update will be wonky and slow as it draws and re-draws the screen, but ultimately should be correct.

If there are no artifacts (once the screen settles down) in Safe mode, the problem is likely with the graphics chip.

Macbook Pro Display Goes Stripey After Login - still works on external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.