Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit will not open

Hi,

I have latest Big Sur and all updates loaded.

Today, TextEdit will not open - I just get the spinning colour wheel when I hover "File" or "TextEdit".

May I have suggestions please?

Thank you

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 7:02 AM

ScubaBadger wrote:

I reinstalled Big Sur didn't make any difference.

I clicked on TextEdit app icon in dock and gota message window asking if I wanted to open the previously failed programme and I have been clicking yes on that and getting a fail every time.

The last time I chose "NO" and TextEdit opened up to allow me to open a document.
Problem resolved.

Thank you
Dave

There is a bug in Big Sur.

When you reboot and find the App spinning, Force Quit the TextEdit.app from the  Apple drop down>Force Quit

and simply relaunch the app— and resume as you describe.

No data will be lost.

You can submit a bug report here—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 7:02 AM in response to ScubaBadger

ScubaBadger wrote:

I clicked on TextEdit app icon in dock and gota message window asking if I wanted to open the previously failed programme and I have been clicking yes on that and getting a fail every time.

The last time I chose "NO" and TextEdit opened up to allow me to open a document.
Problem resolved.

Thank you
Dave

There is a bug in Big Sur.

When you reboot and find the App spinning, Force Quit the TextEdit.app from the  Apple drop down>Force Quit

and simply relaunch the app— and resume as you describe.

No data will be lost.

You can submit a bug report here—Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Dec 14, 2020 6:53 AM in response to PRP_53

Problem resolved.

Thank you

Dave

TextEdit will not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.