Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with security

Norton says I have a problem but it will not fix. The problem is ' your vulnerability protection definitions are not up to date.' How to fix please

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 7:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 11:19 AM

To be very clear, you do not have a problem as described by Norton. The problem is that antivirus apps like Norton are (1) not needed - ever, and (2) they cause your computer to run very slowly and will also cause other serious problems. What you need to do is to go to Norton's web site, download their uninstaller and run it to completely remove all of the bits and pieces of their app. Please allow me to explain why Norton is not needed. When Apple released Catalina, we can now see (using the Disk Utility app) three icons if we click on the Container disk icon. One is titled Macintosh HD and the second one is titled Macintosh HD - Data. What does this mean? the first one, Macintosh HD, is where our Apple installed apps and files is contained. This is a read only disk. That means that no outside files can be written on it. Therefore, no viruses. It is protected from infection. The second Macintosh HD - Data is where our installed apps are located. This allows us to remove and install apps. Last, Apple has its own anti-virus app which is part of our operating system. This is an incredible way to ensure that the Mac OS is the most secure one in the industry. I hope this puts your mind at ease. Apple also has its own protection program built in, so you are completely safe already.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 11:19 AM in response to vinterrv

To be very clear, you do not have a problem as described by Norton. The problem is that antivirus apps like Norton are (1) not needed - ever, and (2) they cause your computer to run very slowly and will also cause other serious problems. What you need to do is to go to Norton's web site, download their uninstaller and run it to completely remove all of the bits and pieces of their app. Please allow me to explain why Norton is not needed. When Apple released Catalina, we can now see (using the Disk Utility app) three icons if we click on the Container disk icon. One is titled Macintosh HD and the second one is titled Macintosh HD - Data. What does this mean? the first one, Macintosh HD, is where our Apple installed apps and files is contained. This is a read only disk. That means that no outside files can be written on it. Therefore, no viruses. It is protected from infection. The second Macintosh HD - Data is where our installed apps are located. This allows us to remove and install apps. Last, Apple has its own anti-virus app which is part of our operating system. This is an incredible way to ensure that the Mac OS is the most secure one in the industry. I hope this puts your mind at ease. Apple also has its own protection program built in, so you are completely safe already.

Problems with security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.