Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Split combined iTunes album into two separate albums

How does one separate two albums in one's iTunes library that have been combined into one? The albums both have the same stellar title (Greatest Hits) but are two separate albums by two separate artists. No relation whatsoever. Somehow one album was combined with the other. I've seen a lot of advice on how to combine/merge parts of an album that iTunes has split up but haven't seen any posts about dealing with the opposite problem. I've tried selecting the titles of one disc and renaming with a unique title (GH + artist's name) but this simply renames the iTunes library album that contains all of the tracks of the two (CD) albums. Is there any way to "export" or extract songs from one disc into a separate album or will I have to delete the songs from one album and try re-importing them? (It's my own CD.) Any advice most welcome!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 10:59 AM

Make sure that the Album Artist is correctly set for both albums, and that part of a compilation is not set. Use the Songs view to ensure that you're only selecting tracks from one album at a time. If they remain together try setting the album title for one set of tracks to Greatest Hits - <Artist 1> and the other to Greatest Hits - <Artist 2>, then close iTunes and reopen to see if that splits them up.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2020 10:59 AM in response to jurahiker

Make sure that the Album Artist is correctly set for both albums, and that part of a compilation is not set. Use the Songs view to ensure that you're only selecting tracks from one album at a time. If they remain together try setting the album title for one set of tracks to Greatest Hits - <Artist 1> and the other to Greatest Hits - <Artist 2>, then close iTunes and reopen to see if that splits them up.

tt2

Split combined iTunes album into two separate albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.