Q: How to create a new album in Music with existing songs?

In an earlier life iTunes allowed you to duplicate a song & change the tags on it so it (the duplicate) would show up under a different album. How do I accomplish the same task now with Music (v 1.2.5.7)?

For example, once upon a time I could highlight a song in iTunes and choose from a menu item--I think if you clicked on a song it gave you options--to duplicate the song. That song, once duplicated, would then show up in the list of all songs in iTunes and you could then change the album name, artwork, etc. So if I own The Beatles "Get Back" song from their "Let It Be" album and I want to create a new album called "The Late Beatles" and include "Get Back" in that new album I could do so.

I think there was also an option to select the type of file (.mp3, Apple Lossless, etc.) when making the duplicate. It'd be nice to know how to do that as well although that's less important to me.

I can use an app like Audio Hijack to do it but that requires recording each track. There is surely a quicker way. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 5:06 PM

Kazior,

You are welcome.

Yes, you can do it in Music, but it is no longer in the contextual (right-click) menu. You have to highlight the track and then use the File menu. See below.

In "Create XXX version," XXX is set to the format that you have set in Preferences, or to AAC if you left the default.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2023 5:06 PM in response to kazior

Kazior,

You are welcome.

Yes, you can do it in Music, but it is no longer in the contextual (right-click) menu. You have to highlight the track and then use the File menu. See below.

In "Create XXX version," XXX is set to the format that you have set in Preferences, or to AAC if you left the default.

Q: How to create a new album in Music with existing songs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.