Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

used iphone xs is apple id locked?

i bought a used iphone xs online. the listing claimed that it is unlocked, but during the setup process, i am prompted to enter someone's apple id.

after googling this a bit, i see it's possible that the seller missed the step of removing her id association from this phone, and that she can still fix this problem from her end if she completes the necessary steps to do so. i have contacted her, asking to do just that. i hope it's just that easy. but if it's not just that easy, do i have any other options other than filing for buyer protection and returning it?

but i also see that it's also possible that this phone could be stolen... if that's the case, i'd like to inform the original owner. is that possible?

iPhone XS

Posted on Dec 14, 2020 11:24 PM

4 replies

Dec 15, 2020 10:04 PM in response to Niel

thanks.

for the sake of anyone else reading this, here's some info i dug up, that you should be aware of when shopping for a used phone:

just because the listing says it's "unlocked", that doesn't necessarily mean that it's unlocked. make sure that it is both apple id unlocked, and carrier unlocked.

the imei # is printed in very small print on the sim card tray. you can check this number online to find out if the device is blacklisted.

there are several ways that sellers can commit fraud against you, and/or their replacement coverage plan. one of them includes reporting their phone stolen AFTER you have purchased it. do not buy with cash. make sure you get the old owner off of the registration immediately, and get the imei registered in your name.

used iphone xs is apple id locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.